Bilal Chughtai, MD
Assistant Professor of Urology
Department of Urology
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York Presbyterian Hospital
425 East 61st Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10065, USA
Weill Cornell Medical Center is pleased to introduce Dr. Chughtai as an Assistant Professor of Urology. Dr. Chughtai specializes in Voiding Dysfunction, Female Urology, and Neurourology.
Dr. Chughtai treats the body as a cohesive system with a focus on Urological care. As such, it’s just as important to address the immediate symptoms as it is to examine the underlying causes of the Urological complaint. Dr. Chughtai engages his patients in a manner that improves their present Urological needs as well as actively involves them in their future wellbeing. His treatment focuses on introducing daily healthy habits and hones in on preventing future Urological conditions. The effectiveness of his medical and surgical treatment relies heavily on strong doctor/patient relationships and on the patient’s resolve to make healthy changes. As his patient, you are promised a passionate and supportive partnership to understand your Urological condition.
Prior to his arrival, Dr. Chughtai completed his Residency in General Surgery and Urology at Albany Medical Center, followed by a Fellowship in Female Urology, Neurourology, and Voiding Dysfunction at Weill Cornell Medical Center and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He earned his Doctor of Medicine at State University of New York at Stony Brook after graduating Magna cum Laude from New York University with a major in Biological Sciences.
Dr. Chughtai is also an active researcher. He has served as primary & co-investigator in numerous studies. He has also published over 70 peer-reviewed articles, authored chapters and books, and has presented at numerous prestigious national meetings.
Dr. Chughtai maintains a successful Urological practice in both men and women. If you are interested in a consultation with Dr. Chughtai, please call to set up an appointment at (646) 962-4811.
His research interests include: Urology, Urogynecology, General Urology.
• National Association for Continence, Project Advisory Council, 2012 – present
• Catheter Associated UTI Committee, Committee Member, 2013 – present
• (June 2005 – present): Member American Urological Association
• (July 2010 – present): Associate Faculty Member of Faculty of 1000
• (July 2012 – present): National Association for Continence, Project Advisory Council
• (July 2013 – present): Member of NY Section AUA
• (July 2013 – present): Member of SUFU
1. Jarvis T, Chughtai B, Kaplan S. Testosterone and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2014; 16: 1-5. doi: 10.4103/1008-682X.140966
2. Chughtai B, Kaplan SA. Surgical Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Urology Practice. 2014; 45-48. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.urpr.2014.02.007
3. Otto B, Barbieri C, Lee R, et al. Incidental Prostate Cancer in Transurethral Resection of the Prostate Specimens in the Modern Era. Advances in Urology. 2014; 2014: 627290. doi: 10.1155/2014/627290
4. Laudano M, Jamzadeh A, Dunphy C, et al. Pathologic Outcomes following Urethral Diverticulectomy in Women. Advances in Urology, 2014; 2014: 861940. doi: 10.1155/2014/861940
5. Weissbart S, Coutinho K, Elterman D, Chughtai B. New Medical and Injectable Treatments for LUTS/ BPH – Anticholinergics, PDE-5, and Botox. Curr Bladder Dysfunct Rep. 2014; 9: 114–121. doi: 10.1007/s11884-014-0227-x
6. Blankstein U, Chughtai B, Elterman D. Relationship Between the Metabolic Syndrome and BPH-Related Voiding Dysfunction. Curr Bladder Dysfunct Rep 2014; 9: 122–128. doi: 10.1007/s11884-014-0230-2
7. Elterman DS, Chughtai B. Alpha-blocker and apoptosis. Cent European J Urol. 2013; 662: 195. doi: 10.5173/ceju.2013.02.art20.
8. Chughtai B, Elterman D, Vertosick E, Maschino A, Eastham JA, Sandhu JS. Changes in Pelvic Organ Prolapse Surgery in the Last Decade among United States Urologists. J Urol. 2013; 191(4): 1022-1027 doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.10.076.
9. Elterman DS, Chughtai B, Lee R, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Re: Noninvasive methods to evaluate bladder obstruction in men Int Braz J Urol. 2013; 395: 758-759. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2013.01.02
10. Hueber PA, Liberman D, Ben-Zvi T, et al. 180 W vs 120 W Lithium Triborate Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Global, Multicenter Comparative Analysis of Perioperative Treatment Parameters. Urology. 2013; 825: 1108-1113. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.03.059
11. Chughtai B, Kavaler E, Lee R, Te A, Kaplan SA, Lowe F. Use of herbal supplements for overactive bladder. Rev Urol. 2013; 153: 93-96.
12. Elterman DS, Chughtai B, Kaplan SA, Barkin J. Tolterodine for the treatment of urge urinary incontinence. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2013; 1414: 1987-1991. doi: 10.1517/14656566.2013.823158
13. Elterman D, Chughtai B. Long-term Outcomes Following Abdominal Sacrocolpopexy for Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Urology. 2013; 824: 757-758.
14. Chughtai B, Lee R, Sandhu J, Te A, Kaplan S. Conservative treatment for postprostatectomy incontinence. Rev Urol. 2013; 152: 61-66. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.1972.
15. Seklehner S, Laudano MA, Te AE, Kaplan SA, Chughtai B, Lee RK. A cost-effectiveness analysis of retropubic midurethral sling versus transobturatormidurethral sling for female stress urinary incontinence. NeurourolUrodyn. 2013 . doi: 10.1002/nau.22483
16. Seklehner S, Laudano MA, Chughtai B, et al. Trends in the utilization of percutaneous and open nephrolithotomy in the treatment of renal calculi. J Endourol. 2013; 278: 984-988. doi: 10.1089/end.2013.0112.
17. Jamzadeh AE, Xie D, Laudano M, et al. Urodynamic characterization of lower urinary tract symptoms in men less than 40 years of age. World J Urol. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00345-013-1134-z
18. Seklehner S, Laudano MA, Jamzadeh A, Del Pizzo JJ, Chughtai B, Lee RK. Trends and Inequalities in the Surgical Management of Ureteral Calculi in the United States. BJU Int. 2013. doi: 10.1111/bju.12372.
19. Laudano MA, Seklehner S, Chughtai B, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of tension-free vaginal tape vs burch colposuspension for female stress urinary incontinence in the USA. BJU Int. 2013; 1122: E151-E158. doi: 10.1111/bju.12180.
20. Chughtai B, Kaplan SA. Medical and Surgical Management of Bladder Outlet Obstruction. Renal and Urology News. 2013.
21. Weissbart S, Chughtai B, Elterman D, Sandhu J. Management of Anastomotic Stricture after Artificial Urinary Sphincter Placement in Patients Who Underwent Salvage Prostatectomy. Urology. 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.03.012
22. Chughtai B, Lee RK, Elterman DS, et al. Comparison of 80 W versus 120 W 532 nm Laser Prostatectomy for BPH. Open Journal of Urology. 2013.
23. Chughtai B, Laudano MA, Lee RK, et al. Use of the bulbocavernosus reflex system in assessing voiding dysfunction. World J Urol. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00345-013-1063-x
24. Chughtai B, Te AE. BPH in 2012: Novel agents in treatment of BPH. Nat Rev Urol. 2013; 10: 72-73. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2012.250.
25. Chughtai B, Elterman DS, Lee RK, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Non-invasive methods to diagnose bladder outlet obstruction in men. International Brazilian Journal of Urology. 2012; 38: 512-517. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(06)00570-2
26. Xie D, Chughtai B, Elterman D, et al. The Link between Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Sexual Dysfunction. Curr Bladder Dys funct Rep. 2013. doi: 10.1007/s11884-013-0187-6
27. Chughtai B, Te AE. Update on BPH Therapy. AUA News. 18(1): 9-13. 28. Chughtai B, Elterman D, Lee R, Te A, Kaplan SA. Experience with the combination of dutasteride and tamsulosin in the long-term management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Ther Adv Urol. 2012; 00: 1– 6. doi: 10.1177/1756287212457115
29. Elterman DS, Chughtai B, Sandhu JS. Treatment options for male stress urinary incontinence. European Urological Review 2012; 72: 127-131. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2010.26.
30. Chughtai B, Lee R, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Combination therapy in themanagement of LUTS – is thisthe future? Drug Discovery Today: Therapeutic Strategies. 2012; 9(1): 1740-1744. doi: 10.1016/j.ddstr.2012.03.001
31. Chughtai B, Elterman DS, Lee R, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Experience with the combination of dutasteride and tamsulosin in the long-term management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Ther Adv Urol. 2012; 45: 267-272. doi: 10.1177/1756287212457115
32. Weissbart S, Chughtai B, Elterman DS, Lee RK, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Acetylcholine for male LUTS. Current Urology Rep. 2012; 136: 413-419. doi: 10.1007/s11934-012-0276-7.
33. Tewari AK, Ali A, Ghareeb G, et al. Improving time to continence after robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: augmentation of the total anatomic reconstruction technique by adding dynamic detrusor cuff trigonoplasty and suprapubic tube placement. J Endourol. 2012; 2612: 1546-1552. doi: 10.1089/end.2012.0544.
34. Matsushita K, Chughtai B, Maschino AC, Lee RK, Sandhu JS. International variation in artificial urinary sphincter use. Urology. 2012; 803: 667-672. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.04.065
35. Green DA, Rink M, Cha EK, et al. Cost Effective treatment of low-risk carcinoma not invading bladder muscle. BJU Int. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11454.x
36. Spettel S, Chughtai B, Feustel P, Kaufman A, Levin RM, De E. A prospective randomized double-blind trial of grape juice antioxidants in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012. doi: 10.1002/nau.22289
37. Chughtai B, Sheth S, Lee R, Tyagi R, Kavaler E. The use of synthetic mesh and the management of mesh extrusion in vaginal surgery. Expert Review Med Devices. 2012; 94: 437-442. doi: 10.1586/erd.12.20.
38. Srivastava A , Chopra S, Pham A, et al. Effect of a Risk-stratified Grade of Nerve-sparing Technique on Early Return of Continence After Robot-assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy. European Urology. 2012; 10: 1016. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2012.07.009
39. Matsushita K, Ginsburg L, Mian B, et al. Pubovesical Fistula: A Rare Complication After Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Urology. 2012 . doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.04.036.
40. Lee R, Chughtai B, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Sexual function in men with metabolic syndrome. Urol Clin North Am. 2012; 391: 53-62. doi: 10.1016/j.ucl.2011.09.008.
41. Lee RK, Chung D, Chughtai B, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Central obesity as measured by waist circumference is predictive of severity of lower urinary tract symptoms. BJU Int. 2012; 1104: 540-545.
42. Chughtai B, Lee RK, Te AE, Kaplan SA. Metabolic syndrome and sexual dysfunction. Curr Opin Urol. 2011; 216: 514-518. doi: 10.1097/MOU.0b013e32834b8681.
43. Blaivas J, Chughtai B, Tsui J, Laudano M. Management of Bladder Diverticula. Current Bladder Dysfunction Report. 2011; 6: 198-210.
44. Lee R, Chughtai B, Herman M, Shariat SF, Scherr DS. Cost-analysis comparison of robot-assisted laparoscopic radical cystectomy RC; vs open RC. BJU Int. 2011; 1086(2): 976-983. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10468.x
45. Chughtai B, Lee R, Te A, Kaplan SA. Role of inflammation in benign prostatic hyperplasia. Rev Urology 2011; 123: 147-150.
46. Chughtai B, Te A. Photoselective vaporization of the prostate for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2011; 85: 591-595. doi: 10.1586/erd.11.25.
47. Chughtai B, Sandhu J. Surgical Management of Post Prostatectomy Incontinence. Arab Health. 2011; 2: 42-44.
48. Chughtai B, Sandhu J. Take Home Message: BPH/LUTS AUA 2011. AUA News. 2011; 16(7): 10-11.
49. Chughtai B, Lee R, Te A, Kaplan S. Inflammation and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Clinical Implications. Curr Urol Rep. 2011. doi: 10.1007/s11934-011-0191-3
50. Chughtai B, Sandhu J. Incontinence: Conservative treatment of postprostatectomy incontinence. Nature Rev Urology. 2011.
51. Pentyala S, Jalali S, Park J, et al. Urologic Problems in Multiple Sclerosis. The Open Andrology Journal. 2010; 2: 37-41.
52. Chughtai B, Sciullo D, Khan S, Rehman R, Mohan E, RehmanJ. Etiology, Diagnosis & Management of Hypersexuality: A Review. The Internet Journal of Urology. 2010; 6: 2.
53. Chughtai B, Sciullo D, Khan S, Rehman R, Mohan E, Rehman J. In-Situ Catheterizable Bladder Tube withSubmucosal Tunneling Catherizable Channel as Continent Mechanism For Urinary Diversion: A Technique. The Internet Journal of Urology. 2010; 6: 2.
54. Chughtai B, Sciullo D, Khan S, Rehman R, Mohan E, Rehman J. Ultrasound Guided Peri-Prostatic Neurovascular Infiltration For Biopsy And Minimally Invasive Prostate Surgery. The Internet Journal of Urology. 2010; 6: 2.
55. Chughtai B, Samadi D, Guru K, Frischer Z, Rehman J. Granulocytic sarcoma of the adrenal gland. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2009; 164: 4760-4761.
56. Rehman J, Chughtai B, Guru K, Shabsigh R, Samadi DB. Management of an enlarged median lobe with ureteral orifices at the margin of bladder neck during robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2009; 161: 4490-4494.
57. Chughtai B, Mian BM. High risk prostate cancer: evolving definition and approach to management. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2008; 156: 4375-4380.
58. Rehman J, Chughtai B, Guru K, Khan S, Adler H, Miller F. Wilms Tumor during Pregnancy: Case Report of Laparoscopic Removal and Review of Literature. Canadian Journal of Urology 2008; 154: 4180-4183.
59. Samadi D, Chughtai B, Akhavan A, Guru K, Rehman J. Incidental Seminal Vesicle Smooth Muscle Neoplasm of Unknown Malignancy Following Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2008; 153: 4109-4111.
60. Rehman J, Guru K, Chughtai B, Shabsigh R, Samadi D. Robotic Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with Preexisting Inflatable Penile Prosthesis IPP. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2008; 155: 4263-4265.
61. Rehman J, Chughtai B, Guru K, Samadi D, Khan S. Laparoscopic Extravesical Ureteroneocystostomy by a New Y Flap Technique. Journal of Endourology. 2008; 228: 1701-1703. doi: 10.1089/end.2007.0346.
62. Chughtai B, Abraham C, Finn D, Rosenberg S, Yarlagadda B, Perrotti M. Fast Track Open Partial Nephrectomy: Reduced Post Operative Length of Stay with a Goal Directed Pathway Does Not Compromise Outcome. Advances in Urology. 2008. doi: 10.1155/2008/507543.
63. Chughtai B, De E, Levin R. Choice of Anti-Muscarinic Agents for Overactive Bladder in the Older Patient- Focus on Darifenacin. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2008; 33: 503-509. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S3414
64. Rehman J, Yildirim G, Khan SA, Chughtai B, Nezhat F. A Case of Successful Laparoscopic Resection of Adrenal Gland Endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility. 2008; 905: e7-e9. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.01.006
65. Rehman J, Chughtai B, Schulsinger D, Adler H, Khan SA, Samadi D. A Percutaneous Subcostal Approach to the Intercostal Stone: A Technique. Journal of Endourology. 2008; 223: 497-502. doi: 10.1089/end.2007.0263.
66. Rehman J, Chughtai B, Sukkarich T, Khan SA. Extraperitoneal Laparoscopic Removal of Eroded Mid-Urethral Sling: A New Technique. Journal of Endourology. 2008; 222: 365-368. doi: 10.1089/end.2007.0008
67. Levin RM, Chughtai B, Mannikarottu A, et al. Ischemic Etiology of Incontinence in Women: A Theory and a Review. The Open Urology & Nephrology Journal. 2008; 1(1): 1-8.
68. Rehman J, Boglia J, Chughtai B, et al. High Body Mass Index in Muscular Patients and Flank Position are Risk Factors for Rhabdomyolysis: Case Report after Laparoscopic Live-Donor Nephrectomy. Journal of Endourology. 2006; 209: 646-650. doi: 10.1089/end.2006.20.646.
69. Rehman J, Khan S, Sukkarieh T, Chughtai B, Samadi D, Waltzer W. Extraperitoneal Laparoscopic Prostatectomy for Obstructing Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Transvesical and Transcapsular Millin; Techniques. Journal of Endourology. 2005; 194: 491-496. doi: 10.1089/end.2005.19.491.
70. Malley R, Chughtai B, Sukkarieh T, et al. Case and Management of Incidentalomas in Patients with Von Hippel-Lindau Disease. Urologica Internationalis. 2005; 752: 189-191. doi: 10.1159/000087178
71. Rehman J, Rizkala ER, Chughtai B, Khan SA. Hypoechoic Testicular Mass: A Case of Testicular and Epididymal Sarcoidosis. Urology. 2005; 663: 657. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2005.03.008
72. Chughtai B, Sawas A, O Malley R, Pentyala S, Khan S. A Neglected Gland: A Review of Cowpers Gland. International Journal of Andrology. 2005; 282: 74-77. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2605.2005.00499.x
73. Riordan T, Seischab LB, Ying Q, et al. Antiprotease Function of Airway Secretions in Purulent Tracheobronchitis. Chest. 2005; 1285: 3167-3176. doi:
74. Rehman J, Ragab M, Venkatesh R, et al. Smooth Muscle Regeneration after Electrosurgical Endopyelotomy in a Porcine Model as Confirmed by Electron Microscopy. Journal of Endourology. 2004; 1810: 982-988. doi: 10.1378/chest.128.5.3167
75. Chughtai B, O Riordan T. Potential Role of Inhibitors of Neutrophil Elastase In Treating Diseases Of The Airway. Journal of Aerosol Medicine. 2004; 174: 289-298. doi: 10.1089/jam.2004.17.289.