Bernard C. Szirth, PhD
Director, Tele-Ocular Program
Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
Doctors Office Center, Suite 6100
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
New Jersey Medical School
90 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Dr. Szirth is the Director of the TeleHealth Program at the New Jersey Medical School. He is responsible for the Vision Threatening Diseases screening community base program at the Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Science in Newark, New Jersey. He has lectured extensively over the past 30 years in 22 Countries around the World and has published over 60 papers in English, Japanese and Spanish. He holds 4 International Patents in the field of eye care including a super wide angle retinal camera; RetCam. Ben Szirth is also a consultant to Canon Medical Systems (USA) and Canon Inc (Japan).
His research interests include: TeleHealth (Age Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetes, Glaucoma), Advanced Optical Systems, AI Medical VTD (Vision Threatening Diseases) detection, Tele-Robotics in Ophthalmic Care, Retinal Imaging
British Journal of Ophthalmology
Position: Invited Reviewer
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International Children with Diabetes
Position: Friends for Life Faculty
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
1. Murphree AL, Doiron DR, Gomer CJ, Szirth BC. Clinical application on hematoporphyrin photoradiation therapy in recurrent retinoblastoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1982; 22: 7.
2. Szirth BC, Gomer CJ, Doiron DR, Lingua RW, McNamara WL, Murphree AL. Photographic documentation of hematoporphyrin derivative (HpD) and fluorescein angiography in experimental ocular tumors. J Ophthal Photography. 1983; 6: 26-31.
3. Gomer CJ, Szirth BC, Doiron DR, et al. Preclinical evaluation of hematoporphyrin derivative for the treatment of intraocular tumors: A preliminary report. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1983; 160: 109-14.
4. Gomer CJ, Doiron DR, Jester JV, Szirth BC, Murphree AL. Hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation therapy for the treatment of intraocular tumors: Examination of acute normal ocular tissue toxicity. Cancer Res. 1983; 43(2): 721-7.
5. Szirth BC, White L, Benedict W. Photographic documentation of human retinoblastoma transplanted into the anterior chamber of the athymic nude mouse eye. J Ophthal Photography. 1983; 6(2): 76-8.
6. Lingua R, Azen S, Szirth BC, Edelman P, Walonker F. Succinycholine as a predictor in strabismus surgery. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 1983; 20(4): 145-8.
7. White L, Szirth BC, Moore T. Chemotherapeutic response in the nude mouse retinoblastoma model. (Clayton Ocular Oncology Center, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, California 90027). Med & Pediatr Oncology. 1983; 11(3).
8. White L, Szirth BC, Benedict WF. Evaluation of response to therapy in retinoblastoma heterotransplanted to athymic mouse eyes. Med & Pediatr Oncology. 1983; 11(3).
9. Gomer C, Doiron DR, White L, et al. Hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation induced damage to normal and tumor tissue of the pigmented rabbit eye. Curr Eye Res. 1984; 3(1): 229-37.
10. Gomer C, Jester J, Razum N, Szirth BC, Murphree AL. Photodynamic therapy of intraocular tumors: Examination of hematoporphyrin derivative distribution and long-term damage in rabbit ocular tissue. Cancer Res. 1985; 45(8): 3718-3725.
11. Szirth BC, Murphree AL, McNamara WL. Infant fundus photography. J Ophthal Photography. 1985; 8(1): 30-3.
12. Szirth BC, Edelman P, Rains III V, Wong GD, McNamara WL, Murphree AL. The Photo-Deviometer. J Ophthal Photography. 1986; 9(1): 55-9.
13. Szirth BC, Kimm L, Glennelle E, Murphree AL. Flash selection in strabismus photography. J Ophthal Photography. 1986; 9(1): 60-3.
14. Kimm L, Glennelle E, Szirth BC. Color reversal film selection using the ring flash for nine gaze photography. J Ophthal Photography. 1986; 9(1): 64-6.
15. Szirth BC, Matsumoto E, Wright KW, Murphree AL. Attachment for the Bausch & Lomb keratometer in pediatrics. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 1987; 24(4): 186-9.
16. Szirth BC. Light toxicity symposium, ophthalmic photography equipment evaluation. J Ophthal Photography. 1988; 10(1-2): 18-20.
17. Szirth BC, Murphree AL, McNamara L. Infant fundus photography. Japanese J Ophthal Photography. 1988; 6(1): 10-14. (in Japanese)
18. White L, Gomer CJ, Doiron DR, Szirth BC. Ineffective photodynamic therapy (PDT) in a poorly vascularized xenograft model. Br J Cancer. 1988; 57(5): 455-8.
19. Gomer C, Ferrario A, Hayashi N, Rucker N, Szirth BC, Murphree AL. Molecular, cellular and tissue responses following photodynamic therapy. Lasers Surg Med. 1988; 8(5): 450-63.
20. White L, Szirth BC, Benedict WF. Evaluation of the response to chemotherapy in retinoblastoma heterotransplanted to the eyes of nude mice. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 1989; 23(2): 63-7.
21. Szirth BC, Matsumoto E, Wright K, Murphree AL. Attachment for the Bausch & Lomb Keratometer in pediatrics. J Ophthalmic Nurs Technol. 1988; 7(1): 26-9.
22. Szirth BC, Wong GD, Bate R, Bartlett D. Legal ramifications of intravenous administration of sodium fluorescein. J Ophthal Photography. 1989; 11(2): 66-78.
23. Wong GD, Szirth BC. Reflex Plus-database management to the rescue of the ophthalmic photographer. J Ophthal Photography. 1989; 11(11): 253-7.
24. Szirth B. New developments in ophthalmic imaging. Japanese J Ophthal Photography. 1991; 9(1): 9-11.
25. Szirth B, Murphree AL. The modified Equator-Plus fundus camera. J Ophthal Photography. 1991; 13(2): 58-64.
26. Szirth B, Wong GD, McNamara LW, Murphree AL. Use of ocular reflex photography for documentation of retinoblastoma tumors. J Ophthal Photography. 1991; 13(2): 65-70.
27. Szirth B. History of the Photographic Department of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. Japanese J Biomed Photography. 1992; 30(1): 25-32. (in Japanese)
28. Szirth B, Good W, Zarbin M. A 35-year journey of the hand held retinal camera. J Ophthal Photography. 2000; 22(2);64-8.
29. Cavallerano J, Lawrence MG, Zimmer-Galler I, et al. American Telemedicine Association, Ocular Telehealth Special Interest Group; National Institute of Standards and Technology Working Group. Telehealth practice recommendations for diabetic retinopathy. Telemed J E Health. 2004; 10(4): 469-82. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2004.10.469.
30. Khouri AS, Szirth BC, Fechtner RD. Detecting age-related macular degeneration: technologies are best compared when standardized [letter]. Arch Ophthalmology. 2005; 123(8): 1157; author reply 1157-8. doi: 10.1001/archopht.1929.00810010004001.
31. Szirth B, Fechtner R, Khouri A, Malpica B, Forofonova T, Zarbin M. Simultaneous stereo retinal imaging in glaucoma: Color 35 mm film vs 6.1 megapixel digital imaging. Telemed J E Health. 2005; 11(2): 262.
32. Choice CV, Grant GP, Turbin RE, et al. Feasibility and accuracy of Tonopen XL and Medtronic Pneumotonometer for measuring intraocular pressure in the prone position using a modified Prone View™ Helmet System. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2005; 17(4): 249-50.
33. Khouri AS, Szirth BC, Realini T, Fechtner RD. Comparison of digital and film stereo photography of the optic nerve in evaluation of patients with glaucoma. Telemed J E Health. 2006; 12(6): 632-8. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2006.12.632.
34. Grant GP, Turbin RE, Bennett HL, Szirth BC, Heary RF. Use of the ProneViewtm Helmet System with a modified table platform for open access to the eyes during prone spine surgery. Anesth Analg. 2006 Aug; 103(2): 499-500. doi: 10.1213/01.ANE.0000227202.01074.F5
35. Osei-Tutu LP, Grant GP, Turbin RE, et al. Effect of head elevation on intraocular pressure and retinal imaging in the prone position. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2006: 18(4): 278.
36. Szirth B, Shahid K, Zarbin M, Khouri A, Bhagat N. Digital retinal imaging for vision-threatening diseases – An integrated approach to diagnostic screening with a non-mydriatic camera. Business Briefing: Future Directions in Imaging. 2006; 53-5.
37. Grant, GP, Bennett HL, Turbin RE, Szirth BC. A method for measuring ocular physiology in the prone position using a modified ProneView™ helmet system. Anesth Analg. 2006; 102: S-186.
38. Turbin RE, Ahukanna I, Szirth BC, Grant G, Bennett HL, Fechtner RD. Intra-ocular pressure during lumbar disc surgery. Anaesthesia. 2007; 62(1): 91-2; author reply 92. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2006.04917_1.x
39. Khouri AS, Szirth BC, Bhagat N, Fechtner RD. Screening and diabetes mellitus. Ophthalmol. 2007; 114(2): 398-399; author reply 399-400.
40. Zarbin M, Szirth B. Current treatment of age-related macular degeneration. Optom Vis Sci. 2007; 84: 559-72.
41. Khouri AS, Szirth BC, Salti HI. DICOM transmission of simultaneous stereoscopic images of the optic nerve in patients with glaucoma. J Telemed Telecare. 2007; 13(7): 337-40. doi: 10.1258/135763307782215389
42. Khouri AS, Szirth BC, Shahid KS, Fechtner RD. Software-assisted optic nerve assessment for glaucoma tele-screening. Telemed J E Health. 2008 Apr; 14(3): 261-5. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2007.0049.
43. Grant GP, Szirth BC, Bennett HL, Heary RF, Turbin RE. Effects of Prone and Reverse Trendelenburg Positioning on Ocular Parameters. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2009; 21(4): 419-20. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181c294e1.
44. Grant GP, Szirth BC, Bennett HL, et al. Effects of prone and reverse Trendelenburg positioning on ocular parameters. Anesthesiology. 2010; 112(1): 57-65. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181c294e1.
45. Shahid K, Kolomeyer AM, Nayak NV, et al. Ocular telehealth screenings in an urban community. Telemed J E Health. 2012 Mar; 18(2): 95-100. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2011.0067.
46. Kolomeyer AM, Szirth BC, Shahid K, Pelaez G, Nayak NV, Khouri AS. Software-assisted analysis during ocular health screening. Telemed J E Health. 2013; 19(1): 2-6. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2012.0070.
47. Kolomeyer AM, Nayak NV, Szirth BC, Khouri AS. Fundus autofluorscence imaging in an ocular screening program. Intl J Telemed & Applications. 2012; doi: 10.1155/2012/806464. doi: 10.1155/2012/806464
48. Shah A. Szirth B, Sheng I, Xia T, Khouri AS. Optic disc drusen in a child: Diagnosis using noninvasive imaging tools. Optom Vis Sci. 2013; 90(1): e269-73. doi: 10.1097/OPX.0000000000000021.
49. Kolomeyer AM, Nayak NV, Khouri AS, Szirth BC. Complimentary imaging technologies in blunt ocular trauma. Oman J Ophthalmol. 2013; 6(2): 108-11. doi: 10.4103/0974-620X.116644.
50. Kolomeyer AM, Baumrind BR, Szirth BC, Shahid K, Khouri AS. Fundus autofluorescence and colour fundus imaging compared during telemedicine screening in patients with diabetes. J Telemed Telecare. 2013 Jun; 19(4): 209-12. doi: 10.1177/1357633X13492292.