Babatunde A. Gbolade, MBBS, DGO, MSc, MPhil, FFSRH, FRCOG
Director of Fertility Control Unit
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St. Jamess University Hospital Leeds
Beckett Street, Leeds
West Yorkshire LS9 7TF, UK
Dr. Gbolade is Consultant Gynaecologist / Director of Fertility Control Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at St. Jamess University Hospital Leeds, England. He is also a Senior Clinical Lecturer, Academic Medical Educators Unit, Leeds Institute of Medical Education at University of Leeds.
He was previously Clinical Lecturer in Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care, Academic Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Reproductive Healthcare at The University of Manchester, England, where he undertook research into emergency contraception, Depo-Provera and bone density. At Leeds, he has worked closely with leading researchers at the University of Leeds, investigating decision-making about pregnancy termination methods.
Dr. Gbolade has a passion for academic peer review and editorial work, currently serving on the editorial boards of many international journals and as a peer reviewer for others.
He has an avid interest in applying the benefits of medical information technology to the provision of healthcare, and holds an MSc in Computational Methods in Medical Science from The University of Manchester, England.
He also has a strong interest in medical law and research ethics, holds an MPhil in Medical Law, and served as an Expert Member of the Northern and Yorkshire NHS Research Ethics Committee for 10 years.
Throughout his career in healthcare services and academia, he has focused on female reproductive healthcare with special emphasis on access, quality, equity, and appropriate use of modern technology.
His research interests include: Contraception, Reproductive Healthcare, Fertility Control, Gynaecology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
• Association of Broadcasting Doctors
• British Medical Association
• European Society of Contraception
• International Academy of Pelvic Surgery
• Manchester & District Medico-Legal Society
• Northern Interbranch Doctors group (NIBG)
• North of England Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society
• Publication Integrity & Ethics
• Society of Consultants in Reproductive Health
• The Leeds and West Riding Medico-Legal Society
• The Royal Society for Public Health
Honors, Prizes and Awards
• Best Oral free communication Award 2007, Sexual Health & Fertility Control Stream, British International Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, London 2007
• Schering Health Care Award – Best Poster Prize 2002, Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Healthcare AGM and Annual Conference, London 2002
• Janssen-Cilag Travelling Scholarship 2001, Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Healthcare of the RCOG 2001
• Biographee, Whos Who in Medicine & HealthCare 2000
• Biographee, Marquis, Whos Who in the World 1999
• Research & Development Training Bursary Award 1998, Northern & Yorkshire Regional NHS Executive 1998
• Best Poster Prize, 5th Congress of European, Society of Contraception, Prague, Czechoslovakia 1998
• Organon Laboratories Best Poster Prize, Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive, Healthcare AGM and Annual Conference, Glasgow: 31 May 1997
• Hope Exchange Programme, Hospital Committee of the European Union for Health Professionals, May – June 1996
• Biographee, International Who is Who in Medicine, Second Edition, 1995, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England
• Postgraduate Scholarship Award (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), Ogun State Government of Nigeria 1979
Full Original Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Gbolade BA. A snap audit of “did not attend” patients in a gynecologic outpatient clinic. Clinical Audit. 2010; 2: 93-96. doi: 10.2147/CA.S9756
2. Wong SS, Thornton GJ, Gbolade B, Bekker HL. A randomised controlled trial of a decision-aid leaflet to facilitate womens choice between pregnancy termination methods. BJOG. 2006; 113(6): 688-694. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2006.00930.x
3. Wong SS, Bekker HL, Thornton GJ, Gbolade BA. Choices about abortion method: assessing the quality of patient information leaflets in England and Wales. BJOG. 2003; 110: 263-266. doi: 10.1046/j.1471-0528.2003.02390.x
4. Wong SS, Bekker HL, Thornton GJ, Gbolade BA. Assessing the quality of information leaflets about abortion methods in England and Wales.British Journal of Family Planning. 2002; 28(4): 214-215.
5. Gbolade B, Ellis S, Murby B, Randall S, Kirkman R. Bone density in long-term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey. 1999; 53(2): 118-119.
6. Gbolade BA, Elstein M, Yates D. UK accident and emergency departments and emergency contraception: what do they think and do? J Accid Emerg Med. 1999; 16(1): 35-38.
7. Gbolade B, Ellis S, Murby B, Randall S, Kirkman R. Bone density in long-term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA). BJOG. 1998; 105: 790-794.
8. Gbolade BA. What do accident and emergency departments in the UK think of providing emergency contraception services? Transactions of the North of England Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society. 1996; 6: 12.
9. Sin J, Gbolade BA, Russell A, Chandiok P, Kirkman RJE. Referral-compliance of Chlamydia-positive patients from a family planning clinic. British Journal of Family Planning. 1996; 22(3): 155-156.
10. Gbolade BA, Kirkman RJE, Elstein M. Emergency contraception, weekends and bank holidays: improving access through Cooperation between hospital and community-based services. British Journal of Family Planning. 1996; 22(3): 120-122.
11. Gbolade B, Kirkman, R. Cross-sectional study of bone density in long-term users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA). Advances in Contraception. 1995; 11(1) 59-60.
12. Ghaly AFF, Gbolade BA. Urethrocliesis: treatment for Genuine Stress Incontinence? A retrospective study. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 1993; 13(4): 259-261. doi: 10.3109/01443619309151858
13. Makinde OO, Gbolade BA. Traumatic injuries of the lower Female Genital Tract. Tropical Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 1990; 8(2): 31-33.