Atilla Ertan, MD, FACP, AGAF, MACG
Director of the Ertan Digestive Disease Center and GI Center of Excellence, MHPB-Texas Medical Center
Professor at the University of Texas Medical School Gastroenterology & Hepatology Division
6400 Fannin, Suite 1400
Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Dr. Ertan earned his medical degree in 1963 from the Ankara University Medical School in Turkey. Following completion of his fellowship in Gastroenterology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1971, he was professor of medicine at the Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans from 1980-90 where he was named Chief of the Gastroenterology Section from 1984-90 and Interim Chairman of Medicine Department from 1988-90. Then, he was Chief of the Gastroenterology Section at the Methodist Hospital/ Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) from 1990 to 2001. He is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at both BCM as well as Weill-Cornell Medical College. He is now professor at the University of Texas Health Science Center and Director of the Ertan Digestive Disease Center and Gastroenterology Center of Excellence at the Memorial Hermann Hospital-Texas Medical Center.
Dr. Ertan has a special interest and experience in the diagnosis and management of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases including Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, various microscopic colitides; biliary/pancreatic benign and malignant disorders, Barrett’s esophagus with dysplasia and early cancer plus these patients’ need for various advanced GI endoscopic diagnostic/therapeutic modalities. More information from: www.atillaertan.com.
Dr. Ertan has achieved national and international recognition as an outstanding clinical scientist, educator, researcher, and administrator in the field of gastroenterology. He has published over 160 articles in peer review journals, book chapters, books, and has received numerous awards and honors. He received the Medicine Science Award of 1992 by the Turkish Science and Technology Research Assembly, 1996 Best Gastroenterologist Award by the Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America, and the 2003 Distinguished Clinician Award by the American Gastroenterology Association (AGA). In October 2003; he received the Master in Gastroenterology Award from the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) and the Fellow by AGA in 2007. He has been named to the Top Doctors in Houston and in the U.S. since 1995.
Dr. Ertan has been active in various national and international gastroenterology societies. For many years he served on the AGAs Education Committee (1994-97), the International Liaison Committee (1999-03), the ACGs International Relations Committee (Chair, International GI Training Subcommittee, 1994-98) and the Educational Affairs Committee (Chair 1999-01). He currently serves on the Editorial Boards of five different medical journals.
Articles (*Peer Reviewed): In Turkish. Summary in English:
1. Ertan A, Gokay E, Buharali S, et al. Multiple myeloma. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1966; 10: 330-346.
2. Ertan A. The diagnostic values of beta-glucuronidase activity of gastric juice in the cases with gastric carcinoma. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1967; 20: 552-570.
3. Ertan A. The chemotherapy in the malignant diseases of gastrointestinal system. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1968; 21: 1247-1265.
4. Ertan A, Ozkan K, Turkvan M. The significance of serum beta-glucuronidase activity in patients with liver diseases. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1970; 18: 110-124.
5. Gokok, HN, Ertan A. Surgical treatment in patients with ulcerative colitis. Blue Bulletin. 1970; 2: 117121.
6. Ertan A. The clinical significance of the endogenous release of cholecystokinin-pancreozymine (CCK). The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1973; 16( Supp.72): 1-61,.
7. Ertan A, Paykoc Z, Aktan H. The clinical course and prognosis in patients with acute pancreatitis. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1974; 17: 248-260.
8. Ertan A, Brooks FP. Mechanism of pancreatic exocrine secretion. Bulletin of Turkish Medical Academy. 1974; 9: 29-31.
9. Ertan A, Kandilci U, Aktan H, Berk U. Pancreatic carcinoma. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1975; 28: 125-133.
10. Ertan A, Kandilci U, Aktan H, Paykoc Z. The clinical course and prognosis of ulcerative colitis. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1975 28: 651-660.
11. Paykoc Z, Mentes NK, Ertan A, et al. The social and economical aspects of gastroenterology Postgraduate education of gastroenterology in Turkey. The Journal of the Faculty of Medicine University of Ankara. 1976; 29(Suppl.349): 1-70.
12. Ertan A. Candidates of gastrointestinal hormones. Contemporary Medical Journal. 1976; 3: 656-662.
13. Ertan A. Neuro-endocrine aspects of gastrointestinal system. Contemporary Medical Journal. 1976; 3: 724-728.
14. Koker E, Ertan A. Recent concepts in the radiological examinations of upper gastrointestinal tract. Bulletin of GATA 1977; 19: 383-389.
15. Ertan A: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Bulletin of GATA. 1977; 19: 359-369.
16. Ertan A, Kandilci U, Danisoglu V, et al. Chiba Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography. Bulletin of GATA. 1977; 19: 445-456.
17. Ertan A. Diet in patients with peptic ulcer disease. Contemporary Medical Journal. 1978; 27: 1187-1189.