Assad Movahed, MD, FACC, FACP
Department of Medicine, Radiology and Cardiovascular Sciences
Director of Cardiovascular Imaging
ECU Brody School of Medicine
Greenville, NC 27834, USA
• (1968-1975) MD, Jondi ShaPour Medical School, Ahwaz, Iran
• (1974-1975) Senior Medical Student, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
POSTGRADUATE TRAINING AND FELLOWSHIP APPOINTMENTS
• (2006, 2007) Mini-fellowship in Cardiac CT at Johns Hopkins and UCLA
• (1982-1983) Fellowship in Nuclear Cardiology, the Johns Hopkins Medical Institution, Baltimore, Maryland
• (1980-1982) Fellowship in Cardiology, Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
• (1977-1980) Residency in Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
• (1975-1977) Residency in Medicine, Reza Pahlavi Medical Center, Tehran, Iran
• (July 1992-Present) Professor of Radiology, Department of Radiology, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina
• (July 1990-Present) Professor of Medicine (Tenured), Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina
• (1986-June 1990) Associate Professor of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina
• (1983-1986) Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia
His research interests include: Clinical and cardiovascular imaging including echo and Doppler echocardiography, Nuclear cardiology and Cardiac CT.
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL AND HONORARY SOCIETIES
• American College of Cardiology
• American College of Chest Physicians
• American College of Physicians
• American Heart Association
• Society of Nuclear Medicine
• American Society of Hypertension
• American Society of Echocardiography
• American Society of Nuclear Cardiology
• North Carolina Medical Society
• North Carolina Society of Nuclear Medicine
• Pitt County Medical Society
• Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
1. Movahed A, Becker LC. Electrocardiographic changes of acute lateral myocardial wall infarction: a reappraisal based on scintigraphic localization of the infarct. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1984; 4(4): 660-667.
2. Wait JL, Movahed A. Angina chest pain in sarcoidosis. Thorax. 1989; 44: 391-395.
3. Reeves WC, Movahed A, Chitwood WR, Williams M, Jolly SR. Utility of precordial, epicardial and transesophageal two-dimensional echocardiography in the detection of intracardiac foreign bodies. Am J Cardiol. 1989; 64: 406-409. doi: 10.1016/0002-9149(89)90550-X
4. Reeves WC, Movahed A, Hsia PW, Rose JC, Jolly SR. Quantification of acute aortic regurgitation by color doppler color flow in an experiment animal model. Echocardiography. 1990; 7(1): 47-54. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-8175.1990.tb00347.x
5. Movahed A, Reeves WC, Rose JC, William S. Wheeler, Jolly SR. Dobutamine and improvement of regional and global left ventricular function in coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol. 1990; 66: 375-377. doi: 10.1016/0002-9149(90)90854-T
6. Jolly SR, Keaton N, Movahed A, Rose GC, Reeves WC. Effect of hyperkalemia on experimental myocardial depression by verapamil. Am Heart J. 1991; 121: 517-523.
7. Wagoner LE, Movahed A, Reeves WC. Myocardial imaging artifacts caused by mitral valve annulus calcification. Clin Nucl Med. 1991; 16(2): 94-97.
8. Jolly SR, Ordoukani A, Movahed A. Effect of neuropeptide Y on isolated rat hearts. Pharmacology. 1991; 43: 121-127. doi: 10.1159/000138837)
9. Lewkow LM, Hooker JL, Movahed A. Cardiac complications of intensive dose mitoxantrone and cyclophosphamide with autologous bone marrow transplantation in metastatic breast cancer. Int J Cardiol. 1992; 34(3): 273-276.
10. Movahed A, Reeves WC, Baskin J, Jolly SR. Increased lung thallium uptake after oral dipyridamole testing. Clin Nucl Med. 1992; 17(6): 489-494.
11. Jolly SR, Reeves WC, Mozingo S, et al. Effect of diltiazem on norepinephrine-induced acute left ventricular dysfunction. Int J Cardiol. 1992; 36(1): 31-40.
12. Wagoner LE, Movahed A, Reeves WC, Jolly SR. Clinical significance of electrocardiographic T*wave normalization with exercise. Am J Noninvasive Cardiol. 1993; 7: 27-32.
13. Arora G, Mehta PM, Paspa P, Jolly SR, Reeves WC, Movahed A. A radioimaging technique for quantifying regional myocardial blood flow. Am J Physiol Imaging. 1992; 3(4): 230-238.
14. Jolly SR, Wilson VP, Movahed A, Mehta P, Boyd GS, Reeves WC. Effect of hyperkalemia on myocardial depression by verapamil in isolated hearts. Pharmacology. 1993; 47: 286-294.
15. Arora GD, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Alteration of coronary perfusion reserve in hypertensive patients with diabetes. J Hum Hypertens. 1994; 8: 51-57.
16. Movahed A, Reeves WC, Mehta PM, Gilliland MGF, Mozingo, SL, Jolly SR. Norepinephrine-induced left ventricular dysfunction in anesthetized and conscious sedated dogs. Int J Cardiol. 1994; 45: 23-34.
17. Alshami AA, Jolly SR, Smith FL, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Exercise testing in patients with ECG evidence of left ventricular hypertrophy. Clin Nucl Med. 1994; 19(10): 904-909.
18. Arora GD, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Effect of tobacco abuse on pulmonary thallium uptake during exercise myocardial perfusion scintigraphy. Am J Cardiac Imaging. 1994; 8(3): 261-265.
19. Arora GD, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Thallium-201 liver uptake for assessment of jeopardized myocardium during dipyridamole stress testing. Clin Nuclear Med. 1994; 19(7): 283-289.
20. Mehta PM, Grainger TA, Lust RM, et al. Effect of coccaine on left ventricular function: Relation to increased wall stress and persistence after treatment. Circulation. 1995; 91: 3002-3009.
21. Tabrizi MHN, Movahed A. An improved diverging square algorithm for motion correction in the nuclear cardiac cardiac imaging. October Proceedings of the International Association of Science and Technology for Development. Signal and Image Processing. (STP 98). 1998; 767-771.
22. Alkoutami GS, Reeves WC, Movahed A. The safety of adenosine pharmacologic stress testing in patients with first degree atriorventricular block in the presence and absence of atrioventricular blocking medications. J Nucl Cardiol. 1999; 6: 495-497.
23. Tabrizi MHN, Dong K, Owens R, Scardigno R, Eubanks S, Movahed A. Tracking algorithms for motion correction of thallium-201 SPECT usuing image segmentation. October proceedings of the International Association of Science and Technology. Computer graphics and Imaging ( GGIM 99). 1999; 54-57.
24. Dong K, Tabrizi MHN, MOVAHED A. Self adaptive method for automatic shape recognition and motion correction of thallium-201 myocardial perfusion SPECT imaging. Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference of Information Technology: Coding and Computing. 2000; 477-482.
25. Tabrizi MHN, Dong K, Owens R, Scardigno S, Eubanks S, Movahed A. Motion correction of myocardial perfusion SPECT employing image enhanced diverging square algorithm. International Journal of Robotics and Automation. 2000; 15(1): 17-20.
26. Tabrizi MHN, Dong K, Movahed A. Tracking algorithms for motion correction of thallium-201 SPECT using improved diverging circle tracking method. Proceeding at the International Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology (CISST 00). 2000; 155-161.
27. Haji SA, Movahed A. Safety of adenosine pharmacologic stress testing in subjects with low systolic arterial pressure. CVR&R. 2001; 22: 61-63.
28. Tabrizi MHN, Dong K, Movahed A. Performance comparison of different motion correction algorithms used in cardial SPECT imaging. Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference of International Technology: Coding and Computing. 2001: 488-492. doi: 10.1109/ITCC.2001.918844
29. Alkoutami GS, Reeves WC, Movahed A. The frequency of atrioventricular block during adenosine stress testing in young, middle-aged, young-old, and old-old adults. The American Journal of Geriatric Cardiology. 2001; 10: 159-161.
30. Kulhanek J, Movahed A, Sorrell VL. Value of three dimensional echocardiography in qualitative assessment of cardiac anatomy and phathology. Proceedings of the International Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology, CISST. 2001; 2: 733-738.
31. Kumar SP, Movahed A. Gender differences in the incidence of chest pain during adenosine pharmacological stress testing. CVR&R. 2002; 23: 317-318.
32. Kulhanek J, Sorrell VL, Ershadi RE, Cabarrus BR, Short DB, Movahed A. Adenosine myocardial perfusion single photon emission computed tomographic stress testing 24-72 h after uncomplicated myocardial infarction. The International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 2002; 18(4): 269-272.
33. Kumar SP, Breington SD, Obrien KF, Movahed A. Clinical correlation between increased lung to heart ratio of technetium-99m sestamibi and multivessel coronary artery disease. International Journal of Cardiology. 2005; 101: 219-222. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2004.03.020
34. Khan NUA, Ahmed S, Wagner P, Rumley R, Movahed A. Cardiac involvement in non-hodgkins lymphoma: with and without HIV infection. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 2004; 20 (6): 477-481.
35. Golzar J, Movahed A. Value of absence of a transient myocardial perfusion defect during stress myocardial perfusion study in patients undergoing major vascular surgery. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 2005; 21(2-3): 267-270.
36. Khan NUA, Movahed A. Pulmonary embolism and cardiac enzymee. Heart & Lungs. 2005; 34(2): 142-146. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2004.09.001
37. Cummings M, Raza J, Movahed A. Atrial Fibrillation during Adenosine Pharmacological Stress Testing. Nuclear Cardiology Journal. 2006; 13(4): 576-581.
38. Khan NUA, Miller MJ, Babb JD, et al. Spontaneous Coronary artery dissection. Acute Cardiac Care. 2006; 8(3): 162-171. doi: 10.1080/17482940600789190
1. Palat GK, Hooker EA, Movahed A. Secondary mania associated with diltiazem. Clin Cardiol. 1984; 7: 611-612.
2. Movahed A, Wait JL. Carcinoma of the heart presenting as myocardial infarction. Am Heart J. 1986; 112(6): 1329-1333. doi: 10.1016/0002-8703(86)90373-X
3. Reeves WC, Marcuard SP, Willis SE, Movahed A. Reversible cardiomyopathy due to selenium deficiency. JPEN. 1989; 13(6): 663-665. doi: 10.1177/0148607189013006663
4. Xenopoulos N, Movahed A, Hudson P, Reeves WC. Myocardial injury in electrocution. Am Heart J. 1991; 122(5): 1481-1484.
5. Paspa PA, Movahed A. Cardiac blood pool visualization by Ga-67 scintigraphy at 48 hours in a patient with severe heart failure. Clin Nucl Med. 1993; 18(1): 80.
6. Shammas RL, Movahed A. Successful treatment of myocardial sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis. 1994; 11: 37-39.
7. Arora GD, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Exercise induced left ventricular dilatation. Clin Nucl Med. 1994; 19(10): 923-924.
8. Patel J, Movahed A, Reeves WC. Electrocardiographic and segmental wall motion abnormalities in pancreatitis mimicking myocardial infarction. Clin Cardiol. 1994; 17: 505-509.
9. Shammas RL, De Antonio HJ, Movahed A. High-grade atrioventiventicular block during dipyridamole stress testing. Int J Cardiol. 1994; 46: 279-282. doi: /10.1016/0167-5273(94)90251-8
10. Haji SA, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Myocardial Stunning following coronary vasospasm as a result of anaphylaxis. CVR&R. 2001; 22: 403-405.
11. Kumar SP, Reeves WC, Movahed A. Dobutamine induced coronary vasospasm in the absence of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease. CVR&R. 2002; 23: 82-84.
12. Brewington SD, Movahed A. Right ventricular Infarction with prominent ST segment elevation in electrocardiographic leads V3 and V4. CVR&R. 2002; 23: 441-444.
13. Kumar SP, Movahed A. Isolated right ventricular infarction secondary to occlusion of the nondominant right coronary artery. CVR&R. 2003; 24: 92-95.
14. Kulhanek J, Movahed A. Uptake of technetium 99 m HDP in cardiac amyloidosis. International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 2003; 19: 225-227. doi: 10.1023/A:1023608115278
15. Kumar SP, Movahed A. Importance of wall motion analysis in the diagnosis of left main disease using stress nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging. International Journal of Cardiac Imaging. 2003; 19: 219-224.
16. Khan NUA, Reinhart RA, Movahed A. Electrocardiographic changes in acute pericarditis. Consultant. 2004; 44: 1022-1023.
17. Khan NUA, Movahed A. Intracardiac extension of a large cell undifferentiated carcinoma of lung. Heart. 2005; 91: 512.
18. Golzar J, Mustafa J, Movahed A. Chest pain and ST segment elevation three minutes after copletion of adenosine pharmacological stress testing. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology. 2004; 11(6): 744-746.
19. Khan NUA, Movahed A, Saha PK, et.al. Left Main Myocardial Infarction in a Healthy Young Male. International Journal of Angiology. 2005; 14: 94-96. doi: 10.1007/s00547-005-2035-9
20. Eilen D, Peterson N, Karkut C, Movahed A. Isolated Noncompaction of the Left Ventricular Myocardium: A Case Report and Literature Review. Echocardiography Journal. 2008; 22(7): 55-76.
21. Reza JA, Khan NUA, Mustafa JS, Movahed A. ST Segment Elevation during Adenosine Pharmacological Stress Testing in a Patient with Coronary Artery Disease. AM Heart Hosp J. 2009, 7(2): 122-124.
22. Brantley HP, Cabarrus BR, Movahed A. Spontaneous Multiarterial Dissection Immediately after Childbirth. Tex Heart Inst J. 2012; 39(5): 683-686.
23. Cao L, Farooqui MA, Wood W, Cahill J, Movahed A. Saphenous graft on transesophageal echocardiogram masquerading as an abnormal vascular communication into the right atrium. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2013; 1(1): 28-30. doi: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3845919/
24. Cao LB, Jones C, Movahed A. Low ADAMTS-13 in Plavix induced thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2013; 1(1): 31-33.
25. Cao L, Hannon, D, Movahed A. Noncoronary sinus of valsalva rupture into the right atrium with a coexisting perimembranous ventricular septal defect. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2013; 1(4): 146-148. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v1.i4.146.
26. Siddiqui AM, Cao LB, Movahed A. Side matters: An intriguing case of persistent left superior vena-cava. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2013; 1(5): 159-161. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v1.i5.159
27. Nguyen T, Cao LB, Tran M, Movahed A. Biventricular pulsus alternans: An echocardiographic finding in patient with pulmonary embolism. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2013; 1(5): 162-165. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v1.i5.162.
28. Alapat L, Chitwood WR, Cahill J, Mehra S, Movahed A. Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm: A case report and review of the literature. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2014; 2(4): 90-93. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i4.90
29. Jones C, Lodhi AM, Cao LB, Chagarlamudi AK, Movahed A. Atrium of stone: A case of confined left atrial calcification without hemodynamic compromise. World Journal of Clinical Cases . 2014; 2(5): 142-145. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i5.142.
30. Nash G, Williams JM, Nekkanti R, Movahed A. Case of early right ventricular pacing lead perforation and review of the literature. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2014; 2(6): 206-208. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i6.206
31. Bejarano M, Cameron YL, Koutlas TC, Movahed A. Transthoracic: a sensitive tool for detecting cardiac extension of renal cell carcinoma? World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2014; 2(8): 377-379. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i8.377.
32. Nguyen T, Phillips C, Movahed A. Incidental findings of pericardial calcification. World Journal of Clinical Cases. 2014; 2(9): 455-458. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i9.455