Ashraf MA Bakr, MD
Professor of Pediatrics
Chief, Pediatric Nephrology Unit
Mansoura Faculty of Medicine
Mansoura University Childrens Hospital
Mansoura, Daqahlia 35516, Egypt
• M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery), 1985, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine. Excellent degree with honor. (The première of the class)
• M Sc (Master of Pediatrics), 1990, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine. Excellent degree
• MD (Doctorate of Pediatrics), 1994, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine
CLINICAL TRAINING AND SCIENTIFIC VISITS:
• Resident of Pediatrics, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt (9/1988-2/1991)
• Trainee, Nephrology Unit, Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt. (11/1991-5/1992)
• Fellow of Pediatrics, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt (2/1991-1/1995)
• Research Fellow, Pediatric Nephrology Unit, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University. Bronx, New York, USA (11/1992-1/1994)
• Visiting consultant, Pediatric Nephrology unit, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, UK (7/2003-8/2003 )
• Prof of Pediatrics, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt
• Chief, Pediatric Nephrology Unit, Mansoura University Childrens Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt
IN THE FIELD OF PEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY:
• Basics of renal replacement therapy. European Pediatric Dialysis Working Group, Istanbul, Turkey, 10/9/2005
• Principles and problems of renal replacement therapy. European Pediatric Dialysis Working Group, Altavilla Milicia – Italy, 7 October 2006
IN THE FIELD OF HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT:
• Training Program of Research Projects and Computer Applications. 6/1/2004–10/2/2004
• The modern management of medical organization. Mansoura, Egypt 3-7/4/2004
• FLDP training courses. Mansoura University, Mansoura Egypt, 13/10 – 21/12-2004
• Peer reviewing of new educational programs. Ministry of Higher Education, Mansoura University, 26-27/8/2008
• How to perform self study in a educational institute. National Authority for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Education. Mansoura 13-17/12/2009
• External evaluation of a educational institute. National Authority for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Education. Mansoura 20-24/12/2009
• Ass. Lecturer in Pediatrics, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt (2/1991-1/1995)
• Lecturer in Pediatrics, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine. Mansoura, Egypt. (2/1995–2/2000)
• Ass. Prof. of Pediatrics, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt. (3/2000-4/2005)
• Prof. of Pediatrics, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt. (5/2005-Present)
His research interests include: Pediatric, Pediatric Nephrology.
MEMBERSHIP IN ACADEMIC SOCIETIES:
1. International Pediatric Nephrology Association (IPNA)
2. European Society for Pediatric Nephrology (ESPN)
3. European Dialysis and Transplantation Association (EDTA)
4. African Society of Pediatric Nephrology (AFRAN)
5. Pan Arab Society of Pediatric Nephrology (PAPNA)
6. Egyptian Society for Pediatric Nephrology and Transplantation (Board member and moderator of scientific committee)
7. Egyptian Pediatric Association
1. Member of a number of NGOs offering services to patients in Mansoura University Childrens Hospital and medical students in Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura, Egypt
AWARDS AND HONORS:
1. Mansoura University Incentive Award in Medical Sciences, 1998 (offered by Mansoura University)
2. Prize of the Best Poster in the 4th Egyptian-French Conference on Immunology and Molecular Biology, 1998
3. The best doctor of the year, 2001 (offered by the Egyptian Medical Syndicate)
4. Mohamed Fakhry Prize for Pediatrics, 2004 (offered by the Egyptian Scientific Academy and Research)
5. Nomination by the Egyptian Scientific Academy and Research as representative of Egypt in TWAS prize, 2005
6. The best poster presentation in 14th Congress of the International Pediatric Nephrology Association, August 2007
7. Inclusion in the 2008 Edition of Whos in the World
8. Prize of the professor Yahia El-Gamal in Pediatrics – the academic research scientific-Egypt (2011)
9. Mansoura University Award for Academic Excellence in Medical Sciences, 2014 (offered by Mansoura University)
1. Abdalla AA, El-Ziny M, Shalltout A, Bakr AM, Abu-Hashem E. Disorders of growth and GH-IGF-1 axis in children with cirrhosis. J Egyptian Society of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes. 1997; 31(1): 40-51.
2. Bakr AM, EL-Chennawy F. HLA-DRB1 and DQB1 alleles in Egyptian children with steroid-sensitive nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 1998; 12: 234-237.
3. Al-Tonbary Y, Bakr AM, Salama O, Hafez MM. Prognostic and therapeutic values of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor(G-CSF) in children with lymphatic malignancies. Haema. 1999; 2(1): 26-30.
4. Bakr AM, Abdallah AF, El-Haggar M, Amer T. Renal hemodynamics evaluated by Dupplex Doppler ultrasonography in children with liver cirrhosis. Pediatr Nephrol. 1999; 13: 854-858.
5. 8-Gehan A. Fathy, Ayman M. Hammad, Manal A. Fathy, Bakr AM, El-Arman M. Glutathione reductase in steroid responsive nephrotic syndrome. Kasr El-Aini Medical Journal. 2000; 6(3): 429-435.
6. Bakr AM, Dosoky T, Fathy G, et al. Eosinophil cationic protein and skin prick tests in children with steroid-responsive nephrotic syndrome. Geget. 2002; 2: 29-34.
7. Bakr AM, Abdalla AF, El-Marsafawy H, et al. Plasma endothelin-1 concentrations in children with cirrhosis and their relationship to renal function and the severity of portal hypertension. J Pediatric Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002; 35: 149-153.
8. Hammad A, Bakr AM, Fathy G, Fathy M, El-Baz R. Serum nitric oxide in post-streptococcal acute glomerulonephritis. Geget. 2002; 2(2): 33-36.
9. Bakr AM, Shaltout A, Hammad A, Sarhan A, El-Latef MA. Oxidative status in children with post-streptococcal acute glomrulonephritis. J Med Sci. 2002; 2(5-6): 213-216. doi: 10.3923/jms.2002.213.216
10. Bakr AM, Shokeir M, El-Chenawy F, El-Husseni F, Abdel-Rahman A, El-Ashry R. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha production from mononuclear cells in nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2003; 18(6): 516-520.
11. Alhassan SA, El-Ziny M, Bakr AM, et al. Bone mineral density and bone turnover markers in children with nephrotic syndrome. Geget. 2003; 3(2): 11-16.
12. Hammad A, Sarhan A, Bakr AM, Abdel- Hady H, El-Chenawi F. Soluble intracellular adhesion molecule 1 (sICAM-1) in post-streptococcal acute glomerulonephritis. Geget. 2003; 3(2): 17-22.
13. Bakr AM, Hawas S, Slem S, Moniem A-HA, Ghatab T, Tawfik M. 5-Lipoxygenase and leukotriene A4 hydrolase expression in primary nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004; 19: 396-399. doi: 10.1007/s00467-003-1399-3
14. Bakr AM. Bone mineral density and bone turnover markers in children with renal failure. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004; 19: 1390-1393. doi: 10.1007/s00467-004-1670-2
15. Ragab M, Sarhan A, Bakr AM, Hammad A, Ragab A, Refaey A. Maintenance intravenous iron sucrose therapy in children under regular hemodialysis. Geget. 2004; 11-12.
16. Bakr AM, El-Chenawi F, Al-Husseni F. HLA alleles in frequently relapsing steroid-dependent and-resistant nephrotic syndrome in Egyptian children. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004; 20: 159-162. doi: 10.1007/s00467-004-1730-7
17. Bakr AM. Epidemiology treatment and long term outcome of childhood systemic lupus erythematosus in Egypt. Pediatr Nephrol. 2005; 20: 1081-1086. doi: 10.1007/s00467-005-1900-2
18. El-Ziny1 MA, Al-Tonbary YA, Bakr AM, et al. Low turnover bone disease in Egyptian children with acute leukemia. Hematology. 2005; 10(4): 327-333. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10245330500155598
19. Bakr AM, Rageh I, El-Azouny M, Deyab S, Lotfy H. Serum neopterin levels in children with primary nephrotic syndrome. Acta Pediatrica. 2006; 95: 854-856. doi: 10.1111/j.1651-2227.2006.tb02353.x
20. Bakr AM, Amr M, Sarhan A, et al. Psychiatric disorders in children with chronic renal failure. Pediatr Nephrol. 2007; 22: 128-131. doi: 10.1007/s00467-006-0298-9
21. Bakr AM, Mahmoud LA, El-Chenawi FA, Salah AA. HLA-DRB1 alleles in children with post-streptococcal acute glomrulonephritis. Pediatr Nephrol. 2007; 22(3): 376-379. doi: 10.1007/s00467-006-0324-y
22. Bakr AM, Abdel-Basset A, Sarhan A, et al. Asymptomatic urinary abnormalities among primary school children in Egypt. World J Pediatr. 2007; 3(3): 214-217.
23. El-Ziny MA, Al-Tonbary YA, Salama OS, Bakr AM, Al-Marsafawy H, Elsharkawy AA. Low bone mass in children with malignant lymphoma. Hematology and Oncology. 2007; 24(8): 577- 585. doi: 10.1080/08880010701640275
24. Bakr AM, Yehia S, El-Ghannam D, Hammad A, Ragab M, Al-Morsy Z. NPHS2 mutations. The Indian J Pediatr. 2008; 75: 585-577.
25. Amr M, Bakr AM, Gilany AHE, Hammad A, El-Refaey A, El-Mougy A. Multi-method assessment of behavior adjustment in children with CKD. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009; 24(2): 341-347. doi: 10.1007/s00467-008-1012-x
26. Bakr AM, Razek A, Kandell AY, Elsorogy LG, Elmogy A. Disorders of Cortical Formation: MR Imaging Features. AJNR Am J Neurotadiol. 2009; 30: 4-11. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A1223
27. Al-Haggar M, Bakr AM, Tajima T, et al. Familial Hypomagnesemia with Hypercalciuria and Nephrocalcinosis: Unusual Clinical Associations and Novel Claudin16 Mutation in an Egyptian Family. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2009; 13: 288-294. doi: 10.1007/s10157-008-0126-6
28. Bakr AM, Hassan SA, Shoker M, Zaki M, Hassan R. Oxidant stress in primary nephrotic syndrome: dose it modulate the response to corticosteroids? Pediatr Nephrol. 2009; 24: 2375-2380. doi: 10.1007/s00467-009-1246-2
29. El-Refaey AM, Bakr AM, Hammad A, et al. Primary focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in Egyptian children: 10-year-single centre experience. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010; 25(7): 1369-1373. doi: 10.1007/s00467-010-1448-7
30. Amr M, Raddad D, El-Mehesh F, Bakr AM, Sallam K, Amin T. Comorbid psychiatric disorders in Arab children with Autism spectrum disorders. Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2012; 6: 240-248. doi : 10.1016/j.rasd.2011.05.005
31. Bakr AM, Al-Tonbary Y, Sarhan M, El-Mougy A, Fouda A. Renal Complications in Children with Malignancies: Single-Centre Experience. Journal of Hematological Malignancies. 2012; 2(3). doi: 10.5430/jhm.v2n3p1
32. Hammad A, Mosaad Y, Bakr A, et al. Urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of severe lupus nephritis in children. Lupus. 2013; 22(5): 486-491. doi: 0.1177/0961203313479419
33. Hammad A, Yahia S, Gouida MS, Bakr AM, El-farahaty RM. Low expression of glucocorticoid receptors in children with steroid-resistant nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2013; 28(5): 759-763. doi: 10.1007/s00467-012-2385-4
34. El-Refaey AM, Elsayed RM, Bakr A, et al. Sleep quality assessment using polysomnography in children on regular hemodialysis. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation. 2013; 24(4): 714-718. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/1319-2442.113862
35. Amr M, El-Gilany AH, Bakr A, El Sheshtawy E. Assessing the intelligence of children with chronic kidney diseases. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2013; 24(1): 67-71. doi: 10.4103/1319-2442.106244
36. Bakr AM. A Childhood Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: How much it is different than in Adults. Clinics Mother Child Health. 2014; 11: e103.
37. Bakr A, Eid R, Sarhan A, et al. Pathological profile of biopsied Egyptian children with primary nephrotic syndrome: 15-year single center experience. Journal of Nephrology. 2014; 27: 419-423. doi: 10.1007/s40620-013-0032-1
38. Bakr AM, Laimon W, El-Ziny M, et al. The emergence of systemic lupus erythematosus in hypothyroid patients: two case reports and mini review. Lupus. 2014. doi: 10.1177/0961203314525866
39. Moustafa FE, Soliman NA, Bakr AM, El Shwaf IM. Assessment of detached podocytes in the Bowmans space as a marker of disease activity in lupus nephritis. Lupus. 2014; 23(2): 146-150. doi: 10.1177/0961203313514125
40. Bakr AM, Al-Tonbary Y, Osman G, El-Ashry R. Renal complications of beta-thalassemia major in children. Am J Blood Res. 2014; 4(1): 1-6.