Antonio Vega Vega, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Mater Hospital Outpatient Department
Mater Hospital Rockhampton and Hillcrest Rockhampton
The Range QLD 4700, Australia
Dr. Vega is Spanish and Australian trained Urologist. He graduated from the University of Salamanca in Spain. He received his urology training for five years at the Santander University in Spain, becoming Fellow of the European Urology Association in 1997 in London. He attained his PhD with Honors in 2001 in Renal Xenotransplants and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons since 2011.
Dr. Vega has very extensive experience as an Urologist. He has worked in Australia at Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital, Nambour General Hospital, Rockhampton Hospital, Greenslopes Private Hospital, Princess Alexandra Hospital Brisbane, Mater Rockhampton and Hillcrest Rockhampton Private Hospital. Dr. Vega has worked as an international Urologist Professor for Siemens for 8 years.
He has been published widely in leading international journals and has presented at international conferences including the American Urological Association and European Urological Association Annual Meetings. He was also awarded best publication of the year in 2005 in the Spanish Urology Association Journal.
His research interests include: Urology cancers: Prostate, kidney, bladder and testicular cancer, Female Urology, Incontinence and urodynamics, Benign and malignant pathology of the prostate, Andrology, erectile dysfunction and infertility and Laparoscopic, open surgery and endo-urology.
• (Since 1995) Member of the Spanish Association of Urology (AEU)
• (From 1996 to 2002) Member of the Xenotransplant group. University of Santander, Spain
• (Since 2000) Member of the Endourological Society
• (Since 2001) Member of the European Association of Urology
• (Since 2009) Member of The Real College of Surgeons (Urology)
• (2011) Member of the Australian and New Zealand Urological Association
• (Since 2013) Member of the Section of the Female Urology of the USANZ
• (Since 2013) Member of the Societe Internationale D’Urologia
1. Vega A, Garcia-Alonso D, Ramos A, et al. Immunohisotchemical study of experimental acute cellular rejection. Transplant Proc. 2002; 34(2): 731-732. doi: 10.1016/S0041-1345(02)02628-3
2. Ramos A, Vega A, Val F, et al. Immunohistochemical study of a new experimental model of acute cellular xenograft rejection. Trasnplant Proc. 2000: 32(5): 960. doi: 10.1016/S0041-1345(00)01060-5
3. Vega A, Ramos A, Val F, et al. Early cellular rejection of pig kidney perfused with manipulated human blood to avoid hyperacute rejection. Transplant Proc. 1999; 31(6): 2643-2643. doi: /10.1016/S0041-1345(99)00483-2
4. Vega Vega A, Garcia Alonso D, Ramos Barron A, et al. Acute cell rejection in ex-vivo model of swine human renal xenotransplantation. Actas Urol Esp. 2004; 28(2): 106-121.
5. Vega Vega A, Parra Muntaner LE, Garcia Alonso D, et al. Clinical experience and results of ESWL treatment for 1000 consecutive patients with Siemens Lithostar Modularis [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2005; 29(7): 662-666. doi: 10.1016/S0210-4806(05)73316-7
6. Vega Vega A, Canga Presa JM, Sanz de la Morena P, de la Cruz Vigo JL. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy in adrenal carcinoma [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2005; 29(3): 277-280.
7. Parra Muntaner L, Lopez Pacios JC, Vega Vega A, et al. Urinary stone in a Brickers ileal conduit [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 2004; 57(8): 851-853.
8. Vega Vega A, Garcia Alonso D, Gimenez Garcia C. Lithiasis fragments in all kidney calices after lithotripsy session in coralliform calculus [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2004; 28(7): 560.
9. Vega Vega A, Garcia Alonso D, Parra Muntaner L, Sanchez Merino JM, Garcia Alonso J. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy of urolithiasis in patients with urinary diversion [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2004; 28(5): 400-404.
10. Vega Vega A, Garcia Alonso D, Rodriguez Reboto AD. Vaginal urinary bladder fistula as a complication of abdominal hysterectomy [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2004; 28(1): 78.
11. Vega Vega A. Stevens-Johnson syndrome, unusual urologic involvement [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2001; 25(3): 241-244.
12. Gutierrez Banos JL, Martin Garcia B, Hernandez Rodriguez R, et al. Tethered cord syndrome in the adult [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 1998; 51(2): 195-198.
13. Correas Gomez MA, Martin Garcia B, AntolinJuarez F, et al. Role of nitric oxide in warm ischemia of the transplanted kidney [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 1997; 50(5): 495-503.
14. Vega Vega A, GutierrezBanos JL, Martin Garcia B, et al. Renal tumors smaller that 3 cm [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 1997; 50(1): 27-31.
15. Gutierrez Bannos JL, Martin Garcia B, Hernandez Rodriguez R, et al. Nuclear area versus nuclear grade in the prognosis of renal carcinoma. Long-term results [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 1996; 20(9): 794-799.
16. Vega Vega A, Gutierrez Banos JL, Martin Garcia B, et al. Incidental versus clinical renal adenocarcinoma: Comparative study (1970-1994) [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 1996; 20(7): 605-613.
17. GutierrezBanos JL, Martin Garcia B, Hernandez Rodriguez R, et al. Satellite intrarenal tumor nodules in renal carcinoma: Therapeutic implications [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 1996; 49(6): 580-586.
18. GutierrezBanos JL, Martin Garcia B, Hernandez Rodriguez R, et al. Cystic adenocarcinoma of the kidney: Apropos of 18 cases [In Spanish]. Arch Esp Urol. 1996; 49(6): 573-579.
19. Roca Edreira A, Correas Gomez MA, Martin Garcia B, et al. Correction of a vesicorenal reflux in a patient with a congenital single kidney after repeated surgical treatments [In French]. J Urol (Paris). 1996; 102(3): 134-136.
20. Villanueva Pena A, GutierrezBanos JL, Martin Garcia B, et al. Atypical forms of renal carcinoma [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 1996; 20(1): 37-42.
21. Vega Vega A, García Alonso D, García Alonso CJ. Characterization of urinary tract symptoms and quality of life in patients with double-pig-tailed ureteral stents [In Spanish]. Actas Urol Esp. 2007; 31(7): 738-742.