Andrew C. Shin, PhD
Department of Nutritional Science
College of Human Science
Texas Tech University
2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409
Dr. Shin received his PhD in Neuroscience at Michigan State University in 2008. His doctoral dissertation was on leptin insensitivity in the brainstem and dysregulation of the HPA axis in rats. Dr. Shin did his first postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Hans-Rudolf Berthoud at Pennington Biomedical Research Center until 2011 where he studied the underlying mechanisms of Roux-en-Y gatric bypass (RYGB) surgery in rats. He demonstrated RYGB-induced changes in meal patterns, hormonal responses, and food reward behaviors in rats that are found to be similar to those reported in human patients. He completed his second postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Christoph Buettner at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in 2013 and was promoted to an Instructor of Medicine at Icahn School of Medicine. His current NIH grant examines the role of brain insulin in the control of branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) metabolism.
His research interests include: Role of brain insulin signaling in the control of branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) metabolism, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery and the mechanisms underlying altered food reward behaviors, appetite control, gut peptides, and energy homeostasis, Interplay between reward and homeostatic neural systems, Dysregulation of HPA axis and obesity.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
• Keystone Symphosia Scholarship, 2010
• Society for Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB) New Investigator Travel Award, 2009
• Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Recognition Award, 2008
• Food, Nutrition, and Chronic Disease Fellowship, MSU, 2007
• American Physiological Society (APS) Mead Johnson Research Award in Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2007
• MSU Summer Retention Fellowship, 2007
• NSF Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Program (AGEP) Fellowship, 2007
• Biomedical Health Research Initiative Assistantship, MSU, 2005 – 2007
• 1st Prize on Ph.D. Oral Presentation Awards, Phi Zeta Research Day, College of Veterinary Medicine, MSU, 2006
• Neuroscience Program Travel Fellowship, MSU, 2005 – 2007
• Graduate Office Travel Fellowship, MSU, 2005
• The National Academies honorable list, 2005
• National Institute of Health (NIH) NRSA T32 Predoctoral Training Fellowship, 2002 – 2003; 2004 – 2005
• Academic Achievement Graduate Assistantship (AAGA), MSU, 2003 – 2004
MEMBERSHIPS AND HONORS
• Peer Reviewer, Physiology & Behavior, Present
• Peer Reviewer, Neuropsychopharmacology, Present
• Peer Reviewer, Journal of Neuroendocrinology, Present
• Peer Reviewer, International Journal of Obesity, Present
• Member, Society for Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB), 2009 – Present
• Member, Society for Neuroscience (SFN), 2005 – Present
• Student Member, Experimental Biology (FASEB), 2007
• Student Member, Endocrinology (ENDO), 2006 – 2007
• Member, The Obesity Society, 2004 – Present
1. Shin AC, Fasshauer M, Filatova N, et al. Brain insulin lowers circulating BCAA levels by inducing hepatic BCAA catabolism. Cell Metabolism. 2014. doi: S1550-S4131(14): 00400-00408. 10.1016/j.cmet.2014.09.003.
2. Shin AC, Berthoud HR. Obesity surgery: happy with less or eternally hungry? Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 24(2): 101-108. doi: 10.1016/j.tem.2012.11.009.
3. Shin AC, Zheng H, Berthoud HR. Longitudinal assessment of food intake, fecal energy loss and energy expenditure after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in high-fat fed obese rats. Obesity Surgery. 2013 April; 23(4): 531-540. doi: 10.1007/s11695-012-0846-2.
4. Kasturi BS, MohanKumar SM, Sirivelu MP, Shin AC, MohanKumar PS. Chronic oestradiol-17β exposure suppresses hypothalamic norepinephrine release and the steroid-induced luteinizing hormone surge: Role of nitration of tyrosine hydroxylase. Brain Research. 2013 Feb 1; 1493: 90-8.
5. Fargali S, Scherer T, Shin AC, Sadahiro M, Buettner C, Salton SR. Germline ablation of VGF increases lipolysis in white adipose tissue. Journal of Endocrinology. 2012 Nov; 215(2): 313-22. doi: 10.1530/JOE-12-0172.
6. Berthoud HR, Zheng H, Shin AC. Food reward in the obese and after weight loss induced by calorie restriction or bariatric surgery. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences. 2012; 1264(1): 36-48 . doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2012.06573.x.
7. Shin AC, Zheng H, Berthoud HR. Vagal innervation of hepatic portal vein and liver is not necessary for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery-induced hypophagia, weight loss, and hypermetabolism. Annals of Surgery. 2012; 255(2): 294-301. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31823e71b7.
8. Shin AC, Berthoud HR. Food reward functions as affected by obesity and bariatric surgery. International Journal of Obesity. 2011; 35(Suppl 3): S40-S44. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2011.147.
9. Shin AC, Townsend RL, Patterson LM, Berthoud HR. Liking and wanting of sweet and oily food stimuli as affected by high-fat diet-induced obesity, weight loss, leptin, and genetic predisposition. American Journal of Physiology: Reg Integ Comp Physiol. 2011; 301(5): R1267-R1280. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00314.2011.
10. Berthoud HR, Lenard NR, Shin AC. Food reward, hyperphagia, and obesity. American Journal of Physiology: Reg Integ Comp Physiol. 2011; 300(6) R1266-1277. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00028.2011.
11. Berthoud HR, Shin AC, Zheng H. Obesity surgery and gut-brain communication. Physiology and Behavior. 2011; 105(1): 106-119. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2011.01.023.
12. MohanKumar SM, Kasturi BS, Shin AC,et al. Chronic estradiol exposure induces oxidative stress in the hypothalamus to decrease hypothalamic dopamine and cause hyperprolactinemia. American Journal of Physiology: Reg Integ Comp Physiol. 2011; 300(3): R693-R699. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00481.2010.
13. Shin AC, Zheng H, Pistell PJ, Berthoud HR. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery changes food reward in rats. International Journal of Obesity. 2011; 35(5): 642-651. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2010.174.
14. Shin AC, Pistell PJ, Phifer CB, Berthoud HR. Reversible suppression of food reward behavior by chronic μ-opioid receptor antagonism in the nucleus accumbens. Neuroscience. 2010; 170(2): 580-588. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2010.07.017.
15. Zheng H, Townsend RL, Shin AC, Patterson LM, Phifer CB, Berthoud HR. High-fat intake induced by μ-opioid activation of the nucleus accumbens is inhibited by Y1R-blockade and MC3/4R-stimulation. Brain Research. 2010; 1350: 131-138. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2010.03.061.
16. Shin AC, Zheng H, Townsend RL, Sigalet DL, Berthoud HR. Meal-induced hormone responses in a rat model of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Endocrinology. 2010; 151(4): 1588-1597. doi: 10.1210/en.2009-1332.
17. Shin AC, MohanKumar SM, Sirivelu MP, et al. Chronic exposure to a high fat diet affects stress axis function differentially in diet-induced obese and diet-resistant rats. International Journal of Obesity. 2010; 34(7): 1218-1226. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2010.34.
18. Zheng H, Shin AC, Lenard NR, et al. Meal patterns, satiety, and food choice in a rat model of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. American Journal of Physiology: Reg Integ Comp Physiol. 2009; 297(5): R1273-R1282. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00343.2009.
19. Shin AC, Zheng H, Berthoud HR. An expanded view of energy homeostasis: neural integration of metabolic, cognitive, and emotional drives to eat. Physiology and Behavior. 2009; 97(5): 572-580. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2009.02.010.
20. Zheng H, Lenard N, Shin AC, Berthoud HR. Appetite control and energy balance regulation in the modern world: external stimuli overwhelm internal repletion signals in a reward-driven brain. International Journal of Obesity.2009; 33 (Suppl 2): S8-S13.
21. Sirivelu MP, Shin AC, Perez G, MohanKumar PS, MohanKumar SM. Effect of L-DOPA on IL-1β-induced suppression of luteinizing hormone secretion in intact female rats. Human Reproduction.2009; 24(3): 718-725. doi: 10.1093/humrep/den434.
22. Sirivelu MP, Burnett B, Shin AC, Kim C, MohanKumar PS, MohanKumar SM. Interaction between GABA and norepinephrine in IL-1Beta-induced suppression of lutenizing hormone surge. Brain Research.2009; 1248: 107-114. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2008.10.057.
23. Clark KA, Shin AC, Sirivelu MP, MohanKumar SM, MohanKumar PS. Systemic administration of leptin decreases plasma corticosterone levels: role of hypothalamic norepinephrine. Brain Research.2008; 1195: 89-95. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2007.12.009.
24. MohanKumar SM, King A, Shin AC, Sirivelu MP, MohanKumar PS, Fink GD. Developmental programming of cardiovascular disorders: Focus on hypertension. Review of Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders.2007; 8(2):115-125. doi: 10.1155/2011/105076.
25. Pasarica M, Shin AC, Yu M, et al. Human Adenovirus Ad-36 induces adiposity, increases insulin sensitivity, and alters hypothalamic monoamines and stress axis in rat. Obesity.2006; 14(11):1905-1913.