Alexios Strimpakos, MD, MRCP, PhD
Department of Medical Oncology
Athens Euro Clinic
7-9 Athanasiadou Street, Athens 115 21, Greece
Dr. Strimpakos studied Medicine as an undergraduate at the University of Patras, Greece and then General Medicine at Nottingham, UK and Medical Oncology at the Royal Marsden Hospital, UK. He developed special interest in Gastrointestinal and Thoracic Tumors and completed his PhD thesis in biomarkers in lung cancer at the University Of Athens. He has published several original and review articles mainly in gastrointestinal and lung cancers. He is currently a Director in the department of Medical Oncology at the Euro clinic Athens Hospital, Greece.
His research interest includes: Gastrointestinal Tract Tumors, Thoracic Oncology, Pharmacogenomics and Biomarkers.
• (2010) Educational Grant from Hellenicsociety of Medical Oncology for the research project (Alteration of apoptotic and programmed cell death markers after induction of chemotherapy in solid tumors)
• (2005) Royal college of Physicians, London (MRCP)
• (2008) European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
• (2009) American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
• (2010) Hellenic Society of Medical Oncology (HESMO)
• (2010) Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG)
1. Strimpakos AS, Sharma RA. Comprehensive review: Curcumin: Preventive and Therapeutic Properties in Laboratory Studies and Clinical Trials. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2008; 10(3): 511-545. doi: 10.1089/ars.2007.1769.
2. Strimpakos A, Saif MW, Syrigos KN. Pancreatic cancer. From molecular pathogenesis to targeted therapy. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2008; 27: 495-522. doi: 10.1007/s10555-008-9134-y
3. Strimpakos AS, Karapanagiotou EM, Saif MW, Syrigos KN. The role of mTOR in the management of solid tumors: an overview. Cancer Treat Rev. 2008. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2008.09.006
4. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Pharmacogenetics and biomarkers in Colorectal cancer. The Pharmacogenomics J. .2009; 9(3): 147-160. doi: 10.1038/tpj.2009.8.
5. Strimpakos AS, Hoimes C, Saif MW. Pancreatic cancer: translating lessons from mouse models. JOP. 2009; 10(2): 98-103.
6. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Pharmacogenetics in pancreatic cancer. Highlights from the 45th ASCO annual meeting. Orlando, FL, USA. JOP. 2009; 10(4): 357-360.
7. Strimpakos AS, Cunningham D, Mikropoulos C, Petkar I, Barbachano Y, Chau I. The impact of carcinoembryonic antigen flare in patients with advanced colorectal cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2009. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdp449
8. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Translational Research in Pancreatic Cancer. Highlights from the 2010 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Orlando, FL, USA. JOP. 2010; 22-24.
9. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW, Hoimes C. Pancreatic Cancer and Personalized Medicine: Can Genomics Facilitate Early Diagnosis or Improve Therapeutic Outcomes?. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine. 2010. doi: 10.2174/1875692111008010073
10. Pharmacogenetics of colorectal cancer and individualized management. Leading review article. Current Medical Literature (CML) Colorectal Cancer. 2010.
11. Strimpakos AS.The molecular targets for diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer. Invited review article. Gut and Liver. 2010.
12. Xu X, Strimpakos AS, Saif MW. Biomarkers and pharmacogenetics in pancreatic cancer. Highlights from the 2011 ASCO Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL, USA; June 3-7, 2011. JOP. 2011.
13. Wong R, Cunningham D, Barbachano Y, et al. A multicentre study of capecitabine, oxaliplatin plus bevacizumab as perioperative treatment of patients with poor-risk colorectal liver-only metastases not selected for upfront resection. AnnOncol. 2011; 22(9): 2042-2048. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdq714
14. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: role of novel agents. Highlights from the 2011 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. San Francisco, CA, USA. JOP. 2011; 12(2): 117-119.
15. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW.Translational research in pancreatic cancer. Highlights from the 2011 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. San Francisco, CA, USA. JOP. 2011; 12(2): 120-122.
17. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Updates on first-line treatment of metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Highlights from the 2011 ASCO Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL, USA. 2011; 3-7. JOP. 2011; 12(4): 339-342.
18. Saif MW, Kaley K, Penney R, Hotchkiss S, Syrigos KN, Strimpakos AS. The efficacy of gemcitabine as salvage treatment in patients with refractory advanced colorectal cancer (CRC): a single institution experience. AnticancerRes. 2011; 31(9): 2971-2974.
19. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Novel agents in early phase clinical studies on refractory pancreatic cancer. JOP. 2012; 13(2): 166-168.
20. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Translational research. New findings and potential future applications in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. JOP. 2012; 13(2): 177-179.
21. Kokkonouzis I, Strimpakos AS, Lampaditis I, Tsimpoukis S, Syrigos KN. The role of end bronchial ultrasound in lung cancer diagnosis and staging: a comprehensive review. Clin Lung Cancer. 2012; 13(6): 408-415. doi: 10.1016/j.cllc.2012.05.001
22. Nikolaou V, Strimpakos AS, Stratigos A, Katsambas A, Antoniou C, Syrigos KN. Azithromycin pulses for the treatment of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-related papulopustular eruption: an effective and convenient alternative to tetracyclines. Dermatology. 2012; 224(4): 315-319. doi: 10.1159/000338865.
23. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Clinical and laboratory biomarkers in the management of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. JOP. 2012; 13(4): 338-341. doi: 10.6092/1590-8577/943.
24. Ramfidis VS, Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Clinical studies in the second line setting of advanced pancreatic cancer: are we making any progress?. JOP. 2012; 13(4): 358-360.
25. Strimpakos AS, Syrigos KN, Saif MW. Novel agents and new combination treatments on phase I studies on solid tumors and pancreatic cancer. JOP. 2012; 13(4): 345-348. doi: 10.6092/1590-8577/947
26. Strimpakos A, Pentheroudakis G, Kotoula V, et al. The prognostic role of ephrin A2 and endothelial growth factor receptor pathway mediators in patients with advanced colorectal cancer treated with cetuximab. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2013; 12(4): 267-274. doi: 10.1016/j.clcc.2013.07.001.
27. Petta V, Gkiozos I, Strimpakos A, Syrigos K. Histones and lung cancer: Are the histone deacetylases a promising therapeutic target?. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013;72(5): 935-952.doi: 10.1007/s00280-013-2223-9
28. Strimpakos A, Politi E, Kainis E. The clinical significance of cytology versus histology-based diagnosis in small cell lung cancer: a retrospective study. Lung Cancer. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2014.04.015
29. Strimpakos AS, Banerji U, Thavasu P, Tsilimagou A, Psyrri A, Syrigos KN. Percentage Change in Plasma Cytokeratin 18 Is Associated with Clinical Outcomes in Patients Receiving Pemetrexed and Carboplatin for the Adenocarcinoma Subtype of NSCLC. Oncology. 2015. doi: 10.1159/000371711