Adam J. Cohen, MD
2591 Compass Rd. Ste 115
Glenview, IL 60026, USA
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Section Director of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Rush University School of Medicine
Chicago, IL 60026, USA
• Dr. Cohen was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1968. He graduated cum laude from Brooklyn College, receiving his undergraduate degree in accounting. Realizing his passion was not in numbers, he attended and graduated from the Albany Medical College
• After completing two years of Internal Medicine training at Staten Island University Hospital, he was accepted and completed his ophthalmology residency at The Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow, New York, which he followed with fellowship in oculoplastic and orbital surgery and neuro-ophthalmology under the tutelage of Dr. David Weinberg
• After working for a short time in New Mexico, Dr. Cohen then completed a prestigious craniofacial aesthetic and reconstructive surgery fellowship, directed by world renowned plastic surgeon, Dr. Ian T. Jackson. He is one of the few oculoplastic surgeons to complete a craniofacial fellowship and receive this level of rigorous and extensive training
• Dr. Cohen is in private practice where he specializes in of oculoplastic and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and cosmetic laser surgery. He still devotes a small amount of his practice time to neuro-ophthalmology. As an active staff member at Rush University Medical Center, Dr. Cohen treats and operates on patients and teaches residents
• He published a textbook on lacrimal disorders and surgery and has just completed a comprehensive textbook on blepharoptosis with his former advisor, Dr. Weinberg. He has published numerous times both in traditional and electronic publications. In addition, he has lectured and taught his colleagues on a national and international level.Dr. Cohen is a fellow of The American Society of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Academy of Ophthalmology, and American College of Surgeons. Currently he is the only ophthalmologist ever to be elected to be a member of the Young Fellows Association within the American College of Surgeons
• In his downtime, Dr. Cohen is an avid cyclist and reader
His research interests include extracellular matrix and amniotic membrane grafts, image guided orbital surgery, orbital implants for reconstruction, oculoplastic surgery, lacrimal and orbital diseases and surgery and neuro-ophthalmology.
His scientific activities include consulting with various companies for extracellular matrix tissue use and orbital implant design.
1. Cohen AJ, Brazzo BG, Mercandetti M. The Lacrimal System: Diagnosis, Management and Surgery. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2006.
2. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Blepharoptosis-Diagnosis and Management. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2010.
3. Cohen AJ, Brazzo BG, Mercandetti M. The Lacrimal System: Diagnosis, Management and Surgery. 2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2014.
4. Cohen AJ, Ali MJ. Cohen and Ali’s Compendium of Oculofacial, Lacrimal, and Orbital Surgery. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
1.Parisier-SC, Cohen-AJ, Selkin-BA, Han-JC. Acquired cholesteatoma. Chapter 20. In: Lalwin A, Grundfast K, eds. Pediatric Otology/Neurotology. PA, USA: Lippincott-Raven; 1997.
2. Mercandetti M, Cohen AJ. Complications of laser resurfacing surgery. Chapter 3. In: Brazzo BG, ed. Oculoplastic Pearls and Complications. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2003.
3. Cohen AJ, Waldrop FC, Weinberg DA. Revision dacryocystorhinostomy. Chapter 25. In: Cohen AJ, Brazzo, BG, Mercandetti, M, eds. The Lacrimal System: Diagnosis, Management and Surgery. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2006.
4. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Pseudoptosis. Chapter 7. In: Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA, eds. Blepharoptosis-Diagnosis and Management. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2010.
5. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Muller’s Muscle- Conjunctival Resection. Chapter 19. In: Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA, eds. Blepharoptosis-Diagnosis and Management. Berlin. Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2010.
6. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Aesthetic Considerations for the Ptosis Surgeon. Chapter 26. In: Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA, eds. Blepharoptosis-Diagnosis and Management. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2010.
7. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Management of the failed dacryocystorhinostomy. Chapter 50. In: Black EH, Nesi FA, Calvano CJ, eds. Smith and Nesi’s Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 3rd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2012.
8. Grigalunas A, Cohen AJ. Ancilary lacrimal procedures. Chapter 25. In: Cohen AJ, Brazzo BG, Mercandetti M, eds. The Lacrimal System: Diagnosis, Management and Surgery. 2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag; 2014.
1. Donnenfeld ED, Selkin BA, Moadel K, Selkin-GT, Cohen AJ, Sperber TB. Controlled Evaluation of a Bandage Contact Lens and a Topical Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug in the Treatment of Traumatic Corneal Abrasions. Ophthalmology. 1995: 102(6): 979-984. doi: 10.1016/S0161-6420(95)30926-8
2. Parisier SC, Hanson MB, Han-JC, Cohen AJ, Selkin BA. In Conjunction with presentation at The American Academy of Otolaryngology National Meeting, San Francisco, California, 1994. Pediatric Acquired Cholesteatoma: An Individualized Single-Stage Approach. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996; 115(1): 107-114.
3. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA, Mercandetti M. There’s No Reason to Cry. Epiphora: Diagnosis and Management of the Tearing Patient. Comp Ophthalmol Update. 2001; 2: 169-178.
4. Mercandetti M, Putterman AM, Mirante JP, Cohen ME, Cohen AJ. Internal Levator Advancement via Müller’s Muscle-Conjunctival Resection: Technique and Review. Arch Facial Plastic Surg. 2001; 3(2): 104-110. Web site. http://archfaci.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=479845. Accessed
5. Cohen AJ, Weinberg DA. Muller’s Muscle-Conjunctival Resection of Blepharoptosis With Poor Levator Function. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers. 2002; 33(6): 491-492. doi: 10.3928/1542-8877-20021101-11
6. Cohen AJ, Mercandetti M. 1-2-3 Lift: Blepharoptosis Repair. Review of Ophthalmology. 2003; 10(8): 73-75.
7. Cohen AJ, Mercandetti M. Nuances of Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty. Review of Ophthalmology. 2003; 10(11): 119-124.
8. Cohen AJ, Mercandetti M. Endonasal Assisted Balloon Dacryocystorhinostomy. Techniques in Ophthalmology. 2003; 1(4): 223-226.
9. Cohen AJ. A New Filler for Soft Tissue Augmentation. Review of Ophthalmology. 2004; 11(5): 104-105.
10. Kelly CP, Cohen AJ, Yahuzer CR, Jackson IT. Medial Canthopexy: A Proven Tech nique. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 20(5): 337-341. Website. http://journals.lww.com/op-rs/Abstract/2004/09000/Medial_Canthopexy__A_Proven_Technique.1.aspx. Accessed
11. Kelly CP, Cohen AJ, Yahuzer CR, Jackson IT. Cranial Bone Grafting to The Orbit: Is It Still The Best? J Craniofac Surg. 2005; 15(1): 181-185.
12. Cohen AJ, Mercandetti M. Diagnosis and Management of Acquired Epiphora. Review of Ophthalmology. 2005; 12(6): 74-78.
13. Cohen AJ, Moster M, Blanco AA. Oculoplastic and Orbital Surgery. Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2006; 19(2): 257-267.
14. Weinberg DA, Tham V, Hardin N, et al. Eyelid mucous membrane grafts: a histologic study of hard palate, nasal turbinate, and buccal mucosal grafts. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 23(3): 211-216. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e318050d2d1
15. Cohen-AJ, Hutensky E. How to Guide Your Crew Through Stormy Seas. Review of Ophthalmology. 2009; 16(4).
16. Cohen-AJ, Hutensky E. Why you need to Open Those 401(k) Envelopes. Review of Ophthalmology. 2009; 16(8).
17. Cohen AJ. The Lateral Bilobed Flap for Anterior Lamellar Eyelid Reconstruction. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010: 26(2): 77-79. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0b013e3181bb0e14
18. Freedman JR, Mackert MS, Cohen AJ. Primary and Secondary Canaliculitis: A Review of the Literature. Surv Ophthalmol. 2011; 56(4): 336-347. doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2010.12.001
19. Leonard JH, Cohen AJ. The Use of the tarSys for Posterior Lamellar Grafting for Lower Eyelid Repositioning. Eur J Plast Surg. 2013; 36(12): 733-738. doi: 10.1007/s00238-013-0882-8
20. Zavari J, Cohen AJ. Lacrimal Canaliculitis. Saudi J Ophthalmol. 2014; 28(1): 3-5.
21. Tannan A, Jhaveri M, Moftakhar R, Munich S, Harbhajanka A, Cohen AJ. Compressive optic neuropathy secondary to a lateral rectus muscle dermoid cyst. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015; 31(3): e63-e64. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0000000000000078
21. Beaucaire M, Mizen TR, Moftakhar R, Dave V, Cohen AJ. Recurrent Orbital Squamous Cell Carcinoma with Extension to the Middle Cranial Fossa. Eur J Plast Surg. 2014; 37(4s): 241-244. doi: 10.1007/s00238-013-0902-8