Abass Alavi, MD, MD(Hon), PhD(Hon), DSc(Hon)
Professor of Radiology and Neurology
Director of Research Education
Department of Radiology
Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
HUP, 3400 SPRUCE ST
4283, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
• MD (Medicine) University of Tehran School of Medicine, (1964)
• Rotating Intern, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, (1966-1967)
• First Year Resident in Medicine, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, (1967-1968)
• Second Year Resident in Medicine, Veterans Administration Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, (1968-1969)
• Fellowship in Hematology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, (1969-1970)
• Resident in Radiology, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, (1970-1971)
• Fellowship, Nuclear Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,(1971-1973)
• (1982-present) Professor of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, USA
• (1987-2000) Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, USA
• (1977-1982) Associate Professor of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, USA
His research interests include: Nuclear medicine, Brain cancer and cardiac imaging with positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), Treatment of cancer with radioactive compounds thyroid cancer, Lymphomas and neuro-endocrine tumors.
• Nuclear Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, (1973)
• American Board of Internal Medicine, (1972)
• American Board of Radiology (Eligible), (1973)
• American Board of Nuclear Medicine, (1973)
1. Alavi A. Molecular Imaging with PET, The Critical Role of PET/CT in the Management of Patients with Cancer. The Evolving Role of PET Imaging in Assessing Infection and Inflammation. Current and Future Applications of PET in Neuro-Psychiatric Disorders, PET/CT Cairo Symposium, Cairo, Egypt. 2011.
2. Alavi A. Inaugural Speaker, CV Imaging Working Group of the Penn Cardiovascular Institute. Penn CVI Cardiology/Radiology seminar series, Philadelphia, PA. 2010.
3. Alavi A. Emerging Role of Molecular Imaging with PET in the Day to Day practice of Medicine, Grand Rounds. Radiologic Society of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ. 2010.
4. Alavi A. Emerging Role of PET and PET-CT in Assessing Musculoskeletal Disorders Biomedical Engineering Graduate Students Seminar. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York. 2010.
5. Alavi A. Panel Member, Scientific Review Panel, R 21 applications, Clinical Studies of Bisphosphonate Therapy and Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (R21). National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Teleconference. 2010.
6. Alavi A. Emerging Role of Hybrid Imaging for Optimal Assessment of Molecular Alterations in Neuropsychiatric Disorders and Its Implications for Individualized Treatments in the Future. American Society of Functional Neuroradiology, Vic Haughton Honorary Lecture, Wynn Encore, Las Vegas. 2010.
7. Alavi A. Molecular Imaging with PET, A Revolution in Medicine, Clinical Applications of PET in Lymphoma and Pediatrics, Emerging Role of PET in Assessing and monitoring Patients with Suspected and Proven infection and inflammation, Critical Role of PET in the Management of patients with Central Nervous System Disorders Nuclear Medicine Section. Department of Medical Imaging, King Fahad Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 2010.
8. Alavi A. Emerging Role of PET and PET-CT in the Day to Day Practice of Medicine, Grand Rounds. Depart. of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH. 2010.
9. Alavi A. Novel Quantitative Techniques for Defining Tumor Biology; a New Paradigm in Cancer Research. Department of Nuclear Medicine Research Conference. Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center. Cleveland, OH. 2010.
10. Alavi A. FDG-PET: A brief history to current perspectives in oncologic imaging, Grand Rounds, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center. Cleveland, OH. 2010.
11. Alavi A. Scientific Review Panel, Nutrition Obesity Research Centers (P30) applications, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. National Institutes of Health. Washington, DC. 2010.
12. Alavi A. Member, Scientific Review Panel, Nanotechnology R25T and K99/R00 Applications for National Cancer Institute. National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD. 2010.
13. Alavi A. Revolutionary Impact of Molecular Imaging with PET on Research and the Day to Day Practice of Medicine, Dermatology Research Seminar Series, Department of Dermatology School of Medicine. University of Pennsylvania, Phila, PA. 2010.
14. Alavi A. F-Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography for the detection of infections and aseptic inflammatory disorders, CASE Seminars of the Food and Drug Administration, Division of Antimicrobial and Ophthalmology Products. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. FDA White Oak campus. Silver Springs, MD. 2010.
15. Alavi A. Medical Education Program. Genzyme, Inc. Cambridge, MA. 2010.
16. Alavi A. Application of Biomarkers and Imaging to Early Phase Studies with an Anti-LOXL2 Antibody. Arresto BioSciences. Palo Alto, CA. 2010.