Syed Shoeb Ahmad, MBBS, MS, FAEH, FCLI
Department of Ophthalmology
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Dr. Ahmad completed his MS in Ophthalmology in 1997. Subsequently, he went to Aravind Eye Hospital in India and obtained a Fellowship in General Ophthalmology. He started his clinical practice at King Fahad Specialist Hospital (KFSH), Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. In 2006 he joined Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. During his stay at KFSH he worked as ad hoc Reader at Qassim University. Similarly, in Malaysia he was appointed ad hoc Lecturer at University Malaysia Sabah. Dr. Ahmad has published around 30 peer-reviewed articles. Presently, he is also involved in some International studies. He has been awarded by the Madhya Pradesh Ophthalmic Society (India) and Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
To further his research interest, Dr. Ahmad cleared the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) examination conducted by Clinical Research Malaysia. He also obtained the C-SSRS (Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale) certificate which is useful for initiating any new clinical study. He sits on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Acute Disease. He is also a regular reviewer for many International journals such as British Journal of Ophthalmology, International Journal of Ophthalmology and many others.
To further his research interest he cleared the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) examination conducted by Clinical Research Malaysia. He have also obtained the C-SSRS (Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale) certificate which is useful for initiating any new clinical study. He is the editorial board of Journal of Acute Disease. He is a reviewer for many International journals such as British Journal of Ophthalmology, International Journal of Ophthalmology and many others.
His research interest includes: Clinical interest is in glaucoma and corneal diseases. He especially interested in the lymphatic drainage of the eye and its role in development of ocular diseases.
• Awarded by the MP State Ophthalmic Society (1996)
• Campaign Smile Award, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Malaysia (2009)
• Award for excellence in service APC (Anugerah perkhidmatan cemerlang), Ministry of Health, Malaysia (2009)
• All India Ophthalmological Society
• Saudi Ophthalmological Society
• MP State Ophthalmic Society
• Malaysian Medical Council
• International Council of Glaucoma Surgeons
1. Ahmad SS. The paradigm of traumatic lens-induced glaucoma. Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association. 1997; 35(4): 37-40.
2. Ahmad SS. Traumatic Cataracts: Newer Perspectives . Journal of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association. 1998; 37(2): 31-33.
3. Ahmad SS. An overview of free radical scavengers in glaucomatous neurodestruction. SFRR-India Bulletin. 2004; 3(2): 37-43.
4. Ahmad SS. Devastating ocular injury by a rice black bug: A case report . International Journal of Ophthalmology. 2010; 10: 1253-1256. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1672-5123.2010.07.005
5. Ahmad SS. A case of bilateral, spontaneous absorption of lenses . Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. 2011; 17(1). doi: 10.5693/djo.02.2011.01.002
6. Ahmad SS. Bilateral persistent pupillary membranes associated with cataract . Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. 2011; 17(4). doi: 10.5693/djo.02.2011.10.001
7. Ahmad SS. Persistent pupillary membranes . included in the London Dysmorphology and Neurogenetics database. 2012.
8. Ahmad SS. Florid diabetic retinopathy in a young patient . Journal of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 2012; 7(1): 84-87.
9. Ahmad SS. Toxoplasmosis: Maternal, pediatric and ocular-need for a change in prevalence. Science International. 2012; 24: 69.
10. Ahmad SS. Kearns-Sayre Syndrome: An unusual ophthalmic presentation . Oman Journal of Ophthalmology. 2012; 5: 115-117.
11. Ahmad SS. A 5-year old with a lid swelling . Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. 2012; 18(4). doi: 10.5693/djo.03.2012.05.001
12. Ahmad SS. Current concepts in the biochemical basis of glaucomatous neurodegeneration . Journal of Clinical Glaucoma Practice. 2013; 7: 49-53. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10008-1137
13. Ahmad SS. Cut-it-out technique in a case of fish-hook injury . Journal of Emergencies, Trauma and Shock. 2013; 6: 293-295 doi: 10.4103/0974-2700.120384
14. Ahmad SS. An iris metastasis from malignancy of the lungs-Clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic evaluation of a case report . Southeast Asian Journal of Case Report and Review. 2013; 2: 256-261.
15. Chong KL, Ahmad SS, Hussin F, Norlina, Ramli M, Gha SA. Asymptomatic unilateral pulsatile eye: Clinical and therapeutic evaluation of sphenoid bone defect in neurofibromatosis type I . International Journal of Case Reports and Images. doi: 10.5348/ijcri-2013-11-395-CR-9
16. Ahmad SS. Kearns-Sayre Syndrome : A commentary. Med J Dr DYPatil University. 2014; 7: 255.
17. Ahmad SS. Recent advances in the pathophysiology of aqueous humor outflow dynamics . US Ophthalmic Review. 2014; 7(2): 137-142.
18. Ahmad SS. Protein S Deficiency Related Retinal Artery Occlusion in a Pregnant Chinese Woman . American Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2014; 2(9): 175-180. doi: 10.12691/ajmcr-2-9-4
19. Ahmad SS. An ode to NVG. Journal of Clinical Glaucoma Practice. 2014; 8: 85.
20. Ahmad SS. Pharmacologic trabeculectomy. US Ophthalmic Review. 2015; 8(1): 46-51. doi: 17925/usor.2015.8.1.46
21. Ahmad SS. Choroidal melanocytoma mimicking a choroidal melanoma . Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015; 29: 242-245.
22. Ahmad SS. A case of Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease mimicking Sympathetic Ophthalmia. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2015; 3(7): 585-587.
23. Ahmad SS. Research and its importance. Ophthalmol Open J. 2015; 1(1): e1-e2. doi: 10.17140/OOJ-1-e001