Samuel Kabwigu, MBchB, Mmed
Investigator, Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Co-Principal Investigator for Microbicides Trials Network studies
Makerere University-Johns Hopkins University Research Collaboration-MUJHU-CARE LTD
• Makerere University - Kampala, Uganda MBchB Medicine (1994)
• Makerere University -Kampala, Uganda M.med Obstetrics/Gynecology (2001)
Positions and Employment
• (1994-1995) Intern Doctor, Mulago Teaching and National Referral Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
• (1995-1998) Medical Officer Mityana District Hospital, Uganda
• (1998-2001) Senior House Officer, Ob/Gyn, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
• (2001-2002) Registrar (Medical Officer Special Grade), Jinja Regional Referral Hospital, Uganda
• (2002-2006) Community Program Coordinator, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
• (2002-2003) Sub Investigator HIVNET 012 study, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
• (2003) Sub-investigator for NVP/HIVIGLOB study, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Uganda
• (2003-2006) PMTCT Coordinator, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
• (2004) Support Supervisor, Ministry of Health National PMTCT Program, Uganda
• (2004-2006) Men Access Program Coordinator, MU-JHU Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
• (2005-2006) Psychosocial Groups Coordinator, Kampala District, Uganda
• (2006) TREAT Program Physician, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Kampala, Uganda
• (2007) Sub-investigator for HPTN 046 and HPTN 027 studies, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Uganda
• (2007) Co-Principal investigator Microbicide Trials Network (MTN) 001,MTN 003, MTN 015 studies, MUJHU Research Collaboration, Uganda
• (2008) MTN 016 protocol Co-chair
His Research interests include: Microbicides research for HIV Prevention, PMTCT research and Cervical cancer research.
• Award in regnition of service rendered to save the mothers project in Kiboga- Uganda by Association of Uganda obstetricians and gynaecologist in Uganda in collaboration with International Federation of obstetrician and gynaecologists (2002)
• Makerere University Johns Hopkins University Award for 10 year excellent service award
• (1999) Member, Uganda Society for Health Scientists, Uganda
• (1994-2001) Member, Uganda Medical Association
• (2001-2004) Member, Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Uganda
• (2004-Present) Member, Action Group for Health, Human Rights, and HIV/AIDS (AGHA),Uganda
Selected peer-reviewed publications
1. Six Week Extended-Dose Nevirapine (SWEN) Study Team, Bedri A, Gudetta B, et al. Extended dose Nevirapine to 6 weeks of age for infants to prevent HIV transmission via breastfeeding in Ethiopia, India, and Uganda: an analysis of three randomized controlled trials. SWEN study Team. Lancet. 2008: 372: 300-313. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61114-9
2. Kabwigu S. Factors influencing voluntary counseling and testing uptake in PMTCT programme in Kampala Uganda. AIDS. 2006 – XVI International conference Abstract no CDC 1169.
3. Kabwigu S. Prevalence of HIV 1 and associated factors among women screened for the VOICE study at MUJHU Kampala site. Abstract at Microbicides 2012 conference.
4. Kabwigu S. VOICE study boosts women’s knowledge about research and Reproductive Health. Abstract at microbicides 2012 conference.
5. Kabwigu S. Strategies used in recruiting women for the VOICE study Uganda experience. Abstract at microbicides 2012 conference.
6. Kabwigu S. Participants reactions on initial administration of ACASI in VOICE study. Abstract microbicides 2012 conference.