Editorial Board Member
Kathryn L. Davis, PhD
Associate Professor of Physical Education
216-A West Center
Rock Hill, SC 29732, USA
Dr. Davis is an associate professor in the Department of Physical Education, Sport, and Human Performance at Winthrop University. She has taught in higher education for 30 years prior to joining the faculty at Winthrop, including North Carolina State University, Slippery Rock University, Middle Tennessee State University, and East Carolina University. Davis has taught courses in Secondary and Elementary Methods, Technology and Assessment, Curriculum, History and Philosophy, Clinical Supervision, and Diversity Issues in Physical Education. Her research interests focus on diversity issues in physical education particularly gender, intellectual disabilities, and childhood obesity. Davis has published in many refered journals, such as the Journal of Classroom Interactions, Sport Science Review, Journal of Policy and Practice for Intellectual Disabilities, and the Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. She recently served as a member of the Board of Directors and Publications Coordinator for the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
Her research interests focus on diversity issues in physical education, particularly gender, intellectual disabilities, and childhood obesity.
• 1974-2015 American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
• 2011-2015 South Carolina Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
• 1996-2015 National Association for Kinesiology in Higher Education
• 1974-2008 North Carolina Alliance for Athletics, Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
• 1995-2007 Southern Academy of Women in Physical Activity, Sport and Health
• 2004-2007 Tennessee Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
• 1999-2005 American Educational Research Association (AERA)
• 1996-2004 Pennsylvania State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Davis k, Frank A. How do we address diversity in Physical Education Teacher Education. Chronicle of Kinesiology in Higher Education. 2014; 25(2): 5-8.
2. Davis K. A school-university partnership in Physical Education Teacher Education: Challenges, experiences, and craft knowledge. Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina. 2012; 12(1): 98-105.
3. Davis K. The advantages of transforming AAHPERD into a professional physical education organization. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance. 2011; 82(9): 5-11. doi : 10.1080/07303084.2011.10598683
4. Davis k, Nicaise V. Examining gender interactions in physical education: Four case studies. Journal of Classroom Interactions. 2011; 46(2): 11-23.
5. Davis k, Zhang , Hodson P, Decker J, Boswell B. Promoting health-related fitness of students with intellectual disabilities through a specifically designed activity program. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. 2011; 8(2): 77-84. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-1130.2011.00293.x
6. Davis k, Zhang G, Hodson P, Boswell B, Decker J. A close look at the physical fitness levels of elementary age students with intellectual disabilities. Sports Science Review. 2010 ; 19(3/4): 77-92. doi: 10.2478/v10237-011-0015-x
7. Davis k, Hodson P, Zhang G, Boswell,B, Decker J. Providing physical activity for students with intellectual disabilities: The Motivate, Adapt, and Play (MAP) program. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance. 2010; 81(5): 20-25.
8. Nichols R, Davis K, McCor T, Schmidt D, Slezak A. The use of heart rate monitors in physical education. Strategies. A Journal for Sport and Physical Educators. 2009; 22(6): 19-23. doi: 10.1080/08924562.2009.10590845
9. BarrieraT, Kang M, Davis K, Binkley H. Assessing reliability of the medicine ball throw using generalizability theory . Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2008; 79(1): A-32.
10. Davis k, Kang M, Boswell B , et al. Validity and reliability of the medicine ball throw for kindergarten children. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2008; 22(6): 1958-1963. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181821b20
11. Davis K. Taking the fear out of writing articles for Strategies. Strategies. A Journal for Sport and Physical Educators. 2008; 21(6): 25-27.
12. Nicaise V, Faircloth S, Bois J, Davis k. Cogerino G. Teacher feedback and interactions in physical education: Effects of student gender and physical activities. European Physical Education Review. 2007; 13(3): 319-337. doi: 10.1177/1356336X07081799
13. Davis k, Hodge S, Frank A, Jones E. The NAKPEHE Faculty Diversity Survey: Results and implications. The Chronicle of Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education. 2006; 17(2): 5-7.
14. Davis k, Brown B, Leidel A, Soeder P. Experiencing diversity through childrens multicultural literature. Kappa Delta Pi Record. 2005; 41(4): 176-179. doi: 10.1080/00228958.2005.10532067
15. Davis k. Teaching for gender equity in physical education: A review of the literature. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal. 2003; 12(2): 55-81.
16. Davis k. A case study in gender equity for basic instruction programs. The Physical Educator. 2000; 57(1): 46-56.
17. Davis k. Teaching for gender equity in physical education classes. The North Carolina Journal. 2000; 36(1): 27-29.
18. Davis k. Giving women a chance to learn: Gender equity principles for HPERD classes. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 1999; 70(4): 13-14. doi: 10.1080/07303084.1999.10605905
19. Davis k. The Chinese national curriculum in physical education. Journal of the International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance. 1997; 33(3): 7-9.
20. Davis k. Fitness walking in the school curriculum. South Carolina. Journal of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 1997; 29(1): 11-12.
21. Davis K. A skills test for beginning bowlers. Strategies. A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators. 1994; 8(3): 26-29. doi: 10.1080/08924562.1994.10592026
22. Davis k, Roberts T, Smith R, Ormond F, Pfohl S, Bowling M. North Carolina children and youth fitness study. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 1994; 65(8): 65-72. doi: 10.1080/07303084.1994.10606988
23. Davis k. Traveling old paths: The role of officiating in promoting leadership. In NAGWS Feature, Women in sport leadership: The legacy and the challenge. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 1993; 64(3): 57-59.
24. Davis k. The diagonal system of volleyball serve receive. Coaching Volleyball. 1993; 24-25.
25. Davis k, Bartlett J, Smith L. Percentile-rank norms: N.C. State Volleyball Skills Test Battery. The North Carolina Journal. 1993; 28(2): 26-27.
26. Davis K, Youtt G. The sports skills workshop. Strategies. A Journal for Sport Educators. 1992; 6(2): 25-28.
27. Youtt G, Davis K. The value of activity classes in higher education. Florida. Journal of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance Driver Education. 1991; 29(3): 48-49.
28. Bartlett J, Smith L, Davis K, Peel J. Development of a valid volleyball skills test battery. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. 1991; 62(2): 19-21. doi: 10.1080/07303084.1991.10606554
29. Bartlett J, Smith L, Davis K, Peel J. Development of a skill test battery. Coaching Volleyball. 1991; 1(3): 14-16. doi: 10.1080/07303084.1991.10606554
30. Peel J, Bartlett J, Davis K, Smith L. Drill for accuracy: N.C. State Volleyball Skills Test Battery. The North Carolina Journal. 1990; 26(2): 13-15.
31. Davis KL. Physical education teacher education: the key to eliminating childhood obesity. Obes Res Open J.2015; 2(1): 42-45. doi: 10.17140/OROJ-2-108